Excess nitric in AR

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldscraphobby

Hi,
So i have some plated jewelry that i normally junk when sorting through gold fill lots, Some pieces seem to have a thicker plating so instead of using sulfamic acid for any excess nitric could i put a piece of this junk in for a couple seconds and remove it, Get what plating is on it?

Hi,
So i have some plated jewelry that i normally junk when sorting through gold fill lots, Some pieces seem to have a thicker plating so instead of using sulfamic acid for any excess nitric could i put a piece of this junk in for a couple seconds and remove it, Get what plating is on it?

You could do that... or save the solution to use on the next batch of GF.

Hi,
If the base metal is Copper, definitely.

Hi,
As soon as some gold is stripped, the gold already in solution will start plating out on the copper, and the free nitric will consume some copper, leaving most of the gold on the piece.
If your only goal is getting rid of excess nitric, go ahead. But you won't strip all the gold from a plated piece.

Latest posts

Back