Extracting Pt, Pd and Ag from capacitors - how is best?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plamenppp

I have about 1 kg of various Bulgarian and Soviet capacitors containing Pt, Pd and Ag. I wonder how would it be best to extract the PGM.
Some of them are covered with plastic and I will have to deal with each one of them separately. Most of them are brand new and have legs that I will remove. After this I will try to remove as much ceramic as I can from then in order to extract the core. After this I will break them into fine dust. Then what - AR, nitric or sth. else?

Attachments

• 14052010554.jpg
    14052010554.jpg
    111.5 KB
The ones with silver inside will need to be processed with 35% nitric acid and heat.

The Pd and pt ones will extract with hot AR or HCl-Cl.

Steve

Thank you, Steve :) The process will be the same as with the cats, I suppose.

P.S. All the capacitors contain Ag. Some contain Ag+Pt or Ag+Pd and some contain Ag+Pt+Pd.

Hey guys,
I just finished disassembling my first computer. I also took apart the power supply. The power supply PCB has a great number of Capacitors (I think they are) If I cut the casing off these, is there some PM's inside?
Also, how do I go about getting the platinum off the Platter plates in the Hard Drive?
Thanks folks !!

eaglewings35 said:
Hey guys,
I just finished disassembling my first computer. I also took apart the power supply. The power supply PCB has a great number of Capacitors (I think they are) If I cut the casing off these, is there some PM's inside?
Also, how do I go about getting the platinum off the Platter plates in the Hard Drive?
Thanks folks !!

The capacitors in the power supply have no PM's in them just the value of the aluminum. Unless you can find a local market for the used parts. Be careful trying to melt them, if you try. But I wouldn't recomend it.

Latest posts

Back