failed first attemp

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmandiesel

ok I know now I should have removed as much Cu as possible but I did not do that. so I have a AR mixture that was of cpu, pins, and fingers dissolved. Dryied almost to complet dryness, it formed a strange crystal on top, added HCL and did this two more times, n rehydrated it at a 4:1 ratio filtered, then tried to SMB to drop out gold. Strangly the reaction foamed with a brown foam and started getting very cold, added alot more SMB thann needed and never got a fall, the solution turns SC black instantly, so I think I have gold there, Now I added HCL and it turned to a nice amber color but no drop it is now very clear and still tests Black with SC. So I took a small batch added Aluim strip to it kept adding Al strip until the SC test was negative. filtered the balck stuff that settled and set that asside, and dumped the neg testing SC. Now I took a little more of the solution that I did not treat with AL and added Sodium Hydroxide to create a salt and got a good drop of all the salts. My plan was to dry these salts, Nitric acid treat the salts, rinse, then AR. I still have over a liter of "neat" AR solution and need to figure out how to proceded best.

Thanks in advance,
Bad metallurgist.

My God, what a mess you're creating.

Start by incinerating all of the solids. Follow that by a rinse with water, in the hopes that you might remove anything that is water soluble.

Follow that with a boil in HCl (to, hopefully, remove all traces of aluminum). Rinse well afterwards, until the rinse water is clear.

Incinerate once again..

You should now process the resulting solids with dilute nitric, to remove traces of base metals.

Rinse well, then dissolve the values with AR, or the solvent of your choosing. From there, it's routine.

Read Hoke. Read Hoke again. Read it once more, and do that until you understand what you should be doing.

Harold

I know, I should have read Hoke, I tryied to get it last night but Scribd wanted me to pay for a membership to down load it. I dont think I can read 80 pages on the computer without wanting to gouge my eyes out.

I realize it's hard for some folks to resist doing what they *think* will work, especially if they've spent much time cruising the net---but, for the most part, pretty much everything you're going to read out there is very misleading. Folks who know next to nothing quickly fancy themselves as gold refiners and begin to promote their miserable methods as acceptable. While they may achieve results of sorts, rarely will anyone disclose to you the risks involved. A classic example is the notion that one tosses everything in a vessel, subjects it to aqua regia, and, bingo, like magic, gold bars appear. No mention of the fact that tin is troublesome, no mention of the fact that traces of lead destroy gold's properties, and no mention of the fact that if not all base metal is dissolved, that some, if not all of the gold involved will be lost to the remaining solids. Because it no longer appears to be gold, in one's ignorance, it is discarded as trash.

There is no better advice that can be offered to you, or anyone who is not familiar with processes that are known to work, than to read Hoke's book. In it you can learn what works, and what does not. You can learn how to test properly, and how to make test and standard solutions. It is, for all practical purposes, the basics that one MUST understand in order to make decisions where recovery and refining are concerned. To approach these operations without that knowledge is akin to scheduling a piano recital when one has never seen a piano.

Read Hoke. Read her book again. Read it until you understand what she teaches. Only then should you attempt to refine precious metals.

Harold

Harold_V said:
My God, what a mess you're creating.

Start by incinerating all of the solids. Follow that by a rinse with water, in the hopes that you might remove anything that is water soluble.

Follow that with a boil in HCl (to, hopefully, remove all traces of aluminum). Rinse well afterwards, until the rinse water is clear.

Incinerate once again..

You should now process the resulting solids with dilute nitric, to remove traces of base metals.

Rinse well, then dissolve the values with AR, or the solvent of your choosing. From there, it's routine.

Read Hoke. Read Hoke again. Read it once more, and do that until you understand what you should be doing.

Harold

If there is much aluminum in your material let the reaction finish before you add heat. HCL + Aluminum + heat= violent reaction that will over flow your vessel.

Latest posts

Back