Finally tested HCl leach

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rewalston

I have finally been able to test my HCl/H20 leach bucket and my rinse bucket to see if I had inadvertently dissolved any gold. I have made a standard test solution and Patnor had sent me some stannous chloride a few months back. I was kind of worried that it might have gone past it's usefulness but with the standard solution I made it got a really nice purple stain so it's still good. The q-tips I used for a sample of my two buckets came back negative, so I'm assuming it's predominately copper right now. So I'll continue using them as AP for some boards and pins that I want to process.

Now I've seen how to make stannous chloride and that it has a certain shelf life, but what I haven't seen, is how should it be disposed of when it no longer works. I'm assuming it's something that you would NOT want to put into your stockpot.

Rusty

Any solutions that contain dissolved metals can be evaporated to a crust. WEAR A DUST MASK and appropriate safety gear ! place the dried crust in a plastic paint bucket and deposit it at your local chemical dump.

Geo said:
Any solutions that contain dissolved metals can be evaporated to a crust. WEAR A DUST MASK and appropriate safety gear ! place the dried crust in a plastic paint bucket and deposit it at your local chemical dump.

Where would you evaporate these "any solutions" Geo?

Not sure that I understand but to answer in the literal, anywhere it's safe to do so. Since it would be your solutions, and especially if you have studied on waste disposal before dissolving metals, you would know how to safely condense,concentrate,evaporate or incinerate the waste. Disposing of solids from solutions is much easier than disposing of liquids simply because of the volume and mass of water involved.

Latest posts

Back