Finding PGM'S now for the hard part.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPR

Supporting Member
I found Gold looking for PGM'S in dirt adjacent to the street. The soil is mostly sand with particulate matter (dirt leaves,road stuff, branches etc.) Cleaned it with running it through a screen and washing it with water until it was clear. Sent it out to the University of Illinois lab department where they did a full panel XRF analysis on it, The results from a 7 gram sample came back with 13.5 MG of AU. But no other PGM'S. Quite sure I will find them in time but for now I will be sending more 7 gram samples to find how large (or small) the Gold area of concentration is. ChatGPT says that at $2250.00 an ounce, 1MG is worth 0.14 cents. Part of the fun of prospecting is finding a profitable area. So I do not know how to proceed from here as I don't know the method or the cost involved to make this a profitable venture. I have heard that a fire Assay is more reliable that XRF but i don't know the effect that has on micron size gold particles. I also don't think this is your backyard hobby situation. Your thoughts......anyone.

I found Gold looking for PGM'S in dirt adjacent to the street. The soil is mostly sand with particulate matter (dirt leaves,road stuff, branches etc.) Cleaned it with running it through a screen and washing it with water until it was clear. Sent it out to the University of Illinois lab department where they did a full panel XRF analysis on it, The results from a 7 gram sample came back with 13.5 MG of AU. But no other PGM'S. Quite sure I will find them in time but for now I will be sending more 7 gram samples to find how large (or small) the Gold area of concentration is. ChatGPT says that at $2250.00 an ounce, 1MG is worth 0.14 cents. Part of the fun of prospecting is finding a profitable area. So I do not know how to proceed from here as I don't know the method or the cost involved to make this a profitable venture. I have heard that a fire Assay is more reliable that XRF but i don't know the effect that has on micron size gold particles. I also don't think this is your backyard hobby situation. Your thoughts......anyone.
Welcome to us.
Please get your elements right.
In chemistry these things matter.
it is Au not AU.
And MG is a car brand not a unit.
1 mg is worth 0.14 cents a MG can be worth substantial amounts of money.

Back