Finding the right Crucible

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joekbit

Being new to back yard recovery and refining and failing at my first attempt to melt my gold. I stopped.

After doing a number of searches on this forum. Well in short I came up with nothing comprehensive on the subject.

What type of crucible for the job? Suppliers have them, but they provide very little information at all to help one decide which type is best. Until now. Attached is an 8 page PDF with a lot of information to help you. I hope everyone finds it useful. I know I will.

Joe

Attachments

• matching_crucible_to_application_mgam.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
For gold most on here will need a torch and melting dish.

For silver it all depends on what your melt size is. I melt in a furnace 150TOZ at a time. I get my Fire Clay Crucibles from http://www.lmine.com/index.html .

Eric

While we areon the crucible topic. I have acquired some pure tungsten wire and was looking to melt it into a bar. would a oxy acetylene torch do the trick with a crucible. I know tungsten melting point is right at the higher end of what this set up can handle. Are there any health concerns with melting tungsten as well. I know some of these weird exotic metals can be bad when melted.

I think you will be hard pressed to find a refractory that will withstand that. W melting point is 6200F would be easier to buy W bars.

Eric

Tungsten is used in heater elements and valves and pipes where the material has to be keep molten. Plasma furnace material for sure.

Latest posts

Back