First Attempt at PGM drop

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midaselm

Hi All,

I attempted to drop my first PGMs today from a hcl/cl cat con leach, as per LazerSteves videos and have a few questions. I never attempted anything like this but am so far happy with my results .

First off I leached with a 12% hcl and added cl ( the very first time we added cl it was coloured and scented ! really should have checked first)
Added small amount of CL every few days . There was 2 cats in there.

I filtered as per videos, and then used a Whatman number 5 filter under vacuum on leach. Was left with a nice red / orange solution that when tested with Sannous, turned red. (pic 1)

When bringing the PH up, though it seemed to take a lot of soda ash to get a colour change, I was also PH testing along the way with paper. The mix was very frothy (pic 2 ) . Before I approached ph 2-ish instead of getting a white precipitate in beaker , I got more of a salt / crystal forming in beaker and floating. (Pic 3) There was a colour change but was still very foaming on top (pic 4).

Eventually the foam disappeared and the crystals settled, so I added zinc 150 mesh form. The reaction lasted for well longer than a few minutes , it did drop Black powder, but did not make the white salts disappear. I did two additions of zinc . I tested the liquid with stanneous and got no reaction for PGMs, so did not add any more zinc. (I did however take a test-tube of the liquid added zinc , no real reaction, but then added heat and seemed to get more pgm dropping- well the zinc turned black anyway)

I decanted off the main liquid into filter and this is the resultant powder in a 1 litre beaker. Pic 5., there is visible black powder, grey/ blue (zinc maybe) and salt like substance (pic 6 ). The decanted liquid came through the whatman number 5 had still a tint of black to it and no real powder in the filter, the coffee filter seems to get most of it .

So any ideas on where i went wrong anyone? Could the initial bleach have had a soap in it that is ruining things?
Did I not PH up enough / too much maybe?
The ambient temp here today was prob 12 Celsius so would the heat effect reactions? (When test tube heated i got better results with zinc) should i wait till it get warmer here or use heat pad when adding ph and zinc ?
Am I using the wrong whatman filter , is the black in the fitered liquid PGMs ?
Or as ive never even seen black powder ,should my dropped black powder have these salt like parts?

Thanks a million,

Attachments

• stannous reaction.jpg
    stannous reaction.jpg
    8.8 KB
  • frothy leach early soda addition.JPG
    frothy leach early soda addition.JPG
    2.3 MB
  • soda leach floating crystals.JPG
    soda leach floating crystals.JPG
    2.2 MB
  • froth 2.JPG
    froth 2.JPG
    2.1 MB
  • first pgm drop.JPG
    first pgm drop.JPG
    2.1 MB
oh and forgot to add that after washing it off a few times , i have covered with distilled water , but its still bubbling :)

I am by no means a pro at this but that is a lot of black. I think you have a ton of Zinc in it and if you wash it with dilute HCl you will be left with a much smaller amount (probably barely enough to cover the bottom of the beaker) of PGM black.
Keith

The soda ash step is meant to reduce the acidity of the solution to conserve on zinc consumption, since you only used 12% HCl you could have skipped this step.

Using zinc turnings or shavings would have produced a more easily black powder that is settles and filters more easily.

Looks like you are on track aside from a little excess zinc which is not uncommon.

Steve

Thank Steve / Kilo for the input, very much appreciated ,

will add some HCL and try digest the excess zinc and see what i get.

I think the soda ash part was needed as the ph was 0,and took a lot of ash to bring ph up .

Is is safer at the start to add excess zinc and then HCL zinc away ? Would this be a safer way to make sure all pgms drop from solution ?

I have another batch ready to go now , that was done with 38% hcl and colourless and unscented bleach so hopefully there will be no soaping / frothing of the mixture , and i can get it done with less zinc .

Again , thanks a million for the help ,

update....

so added hcl to burn off the excess zinc , but now the black powder is so fine it remains suspended in liquid almost, i figure this is from the fine mesh zinc i used. I vacuum filtered using whatman 5 paper but it took 36 hrs to filter a 1.5 litre amount. The black powder was stuck to the papers and would not really come off the filter when spraying it off .

So at this stage I think it may be best to just start over again, and hopefully I can get precipation of pgms in a less fine form, I have a second batch leaching there and am wondering if I can just add the tin, pgm + leach mix I have from this attempt to the next batch or would this cause me any problems with the second batch? Hopefully I can get some zinc turnings by then, and get better results maybe.

Also any advice about what spec whatman papers should i be using .

thanks
k

Latest posts

Back