First nitric run

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoosierdaddy

I have been doing the research for several years now, all while using hcl/clorox method for small batches to help fund my lab. Came a long way and glad I found this forum, it has made my research faster and easier. My last batch i ran with Hcl and sodium nitrate. It came out looking dingy so i redid the batch and it came out clean with a beautiful color and testing 24k.
Anyway I am getting ready to run my first batch in nitric ar. I am a bit of a perfectionist and want to make sure I have this correct. In the event of not having enough gold to fulljy use up a batch of ar, I should then be able to disolve silver to use up the rext, so none gets wasted? After urea and smb precipitation I can then stor the remainder for separation of silver and other metals.
Be patient with me in understanding as this method is a new area for me,

hoosierdaddy said:
I have been doing the research for several years now, all while using hcl/clorox method for small batches to help fund my lab. Came a long way and glad I found this forum, it has made my research faster and easier. My last batch i ran with Hcl and sodium nitrate. It came out looking dingy so i redid the batch and it came out clean with a beautiful color and testing 24k.
Anyway I am getting ready to run my first batch in nitric ar. I am a bit of a perfectionist and want to make sure I have this correct. In the event of not having enough gold to fulljy use up a batch of ar, I should then be able to disolve silver to use up the rext, so none gets wasted? After urea and smb precipitation I can then stor the remainder for separation of silver and other metals.
Be patient with me in understanding as this method is a new area for me,

First off, get rid of the urea, there is no need for it in refining. Second, you don't make a batch of AR. You cannot use it for silver. If you are going to make AR, start with HCl, and add Nitric as needed to dissolve your gold. Add a little at a time until there is no reaction. Then heat your solution which should kick the reaction. With heat if there is no reaction, then your gold should all be in solution. If you have excess nitric you can use sulfamic acid to kill the nitric...OR leave some undissolved gold in your AR...I'm sure if I got these suggestions wrong someone will correct me.

Rusty

Hoosier,
* Disclaimer: I have never done a "nitric run".

Regarding the silver, I'd not try to reinvent the wheel on your first try.

You can calculate how much nitric you will likely need, start with about 1/2 - 2/3 of that, then add in small increments as required until dissolved. Use heat and be patient with each addition. Done right, you should have no excess nitric, or no more than your SMB can take care of.

Latest posts

Back