First time poster, needs advice on mystery precipitate

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

souvage

Hi Everyone, I've this question because it has been bothering me. I have tried HCL and Hydrogen Peroxide mixed to leach off fingers from a computer, it did worked fine, but I think the solution has also dissolved gold, I have used the liquid many times. so I tried to kock down the Gold with SMB mixed with water. The end result was white powder, some grey in color. My question now is why not brown powder as I have raed?
Souvage.

souvage said:
Hi Everyone, I've this question because it has been bothering me. I have tried HCL and Hydrogen Peroxide mixed to leach off fingers from a computer, it did worked fine, but I think the solution has also dissolved gold, I have used the liquid many times. so I tried to kock down the Gold with SMB mixed with water. The end result was white powder, some grey in color. My question now is why not brown powder as I have raed?
Souvage.
Hi and welcome, I think you should have started your own tread or use a related, already existing, topic...

You have no black powder simply because there is no gold in solution as you may think. If AP was used many times as you say, all gold would have been cemented by the same copper you continued to etch. Basically, even if initially your solution may have dissolved some gold, over using it would saturate the solution with more copper, replacing your gold. It should be mixed

The white powder is Copper I Chloride, add HCl to get rid of it. If you didn't exaggerate with Hydrogen Peroxide, by now it should all have been exhausted so no more gold would go into solution when adding more HCl.

This makes me believe your skills with AP are not strong enough, I'd suggest start studying from the pinned topics and safety section.

Edit: spelling

Souvage,

Kindly spend some time reading the forum before threadjacking and making new posts.

I will split this topic into a new one titled "First time poster, needs advice on mystery precipitate"

which has already been identified.

Latest posts

Back