First Try

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aselby

So I melted some of my "gold" together,

I started with fingers (from AP) then used some bleach filtered & SMB then melted (left out most of the steps so this post wouldn't be insanely long)...
The two little balls that I have seem like gold but they have a coating around them.

I knows its hard to see in the picture but I'm kinda wondering what the coating is and how to get rid of it?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20130707_145303[1].jpg
    IMG_20130707_145303[1].jpg
    1.3 MB
  • IMG_20130707_145320[1].jpg
    IMG_20130707_145320[1].jpg
    1.2 MB
Thank you for the reply,

Do you have any idea what would have caused that or what metal would be on it ?

I think I followed laser Steve's video about the AP process and foils fairly close.

I'm wondering if I didn't wash it with HCL well enough?
Or is it possible I used to much SMB ?

But the entire process seemed to follow the video, after the HCL and bleach I had a golden yellow liquid, put some SMB in to it stirred 5 mins later it went dark, then clear and I let it sit over night. Today, I siphoned off the fluid and heated the mass up with a torch (MAP gas) and those are what came out.

Has anyone seen this before ?

Thanks again

if you melted in a dish with borax, what color was the dish after? it could be borax that has darken because of the oxide . you can boil your button in diluted sulfuric acid for a few minute and borax will fall from the button. but your gold will still be unpure even if it is good looking after the bath...

aselby said:
I'm wondering if I didn't wash it with HCL well enough?
Or is it possible I used to much SMB ?

Thanks again

After precipitation i wash the powder whit water then boil in HCL, then in water.
The lighter the powder the pure is the gold. You can refine this buttons again or use in AR to get rid of nitric excess

Is not from SMB.

Nice job on your first gold

aselby said:
So I melted some of my "gold" together,
(left out most of the steps so this post wouldn't be insanely long)...

Thanks

Aselby , when asking for help it may be a good idea to write step by step , even if it would become a long mail, as this would be the only way for others to know what you did and maybe did wrong.

by not writing what you did , the post will become insanely long as people will have to guess what you did and where you maybe went wrong.

scm

Latest posts

Back