Flat rate shipping on Muriatic and 35% H2O2

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geekzilla

Found this site today while looking for a cheaper supply of Muriatic acid and a supplier of H2O2.

They seem to have reasonable prices and after seeing shipping charges of $89! on one potential order, I was happy to see that this company offers flat rate shipping of $9.95 to anywhere in the US.

Pond Depot:
http://www.ponddepot.com

Muriatic:
http://www.pondepot.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=24722

35% H2O2:
http://www.pondepot.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3161

Chris

Muriatic should be available cheaply anywhere in the US at hardware stores and pool shops. Less than $4 a gallon is usually what I pay. I have seen it as much as $10 per gallon.

Rag and Bone said:
Muriatic should be available cheaply anywhere in the US at hardware stores and pool shops. Less than $4 a gallon is usually what I pay. I have seen it as much as $10 per gallon.

I'm finally figuring that out! javascript:emoticon(':)')
Smile The two large box stores here in my town (Lowes and Home Depot) do not stock Muriatic so I turned to the internet. Still checking local stores but so far no luck.

Lowes should have it in the masonry section. It's clearly labeled muratic acid (hydrochloric acid). They have some other concrete cleaner there too. I forget the name, something bull or bull something, I don't know. The muratic acid was not with the "bull" stuff, it was on the facing isle about 30 yards farther down.

At my lowes it is in the paint section near the epoxy floor finishes for concrete garage floors. I just paid 6.68 for 1 gallon 20 baum 31. percent

Thanks for the tips. I was just at Lowes and took a look at their pool chemicals where I had hoped to find it. No luck. I had forgotten that it is also marketed as a concrete cleaner, so I didn't think to look there. I need to go back because I forgot a part for my fume hood, so i will take another look.

I forget what the name of it is, But about a week ago i was in a Dollar General Store and was just looking at the drain cleaner isle to see what chemicals i could spot. I remember one of them was a product that had i believe it was 31 %, If not i remember it wasn't far off hydrochloric acid. The thing i do remember was it was $ 2 a bottle = 64 oz Or $ 4 a Gal. Someone check Dollar General and let me know.

Big box stores are an easy idea when it comes to the chemicals, but dont forget about the small hardware store's and co-ops in your area. Prices may be slightly higher than expected, but it will get you started until you find a cheaper source.

The muratic acid I found in Wisconsin comes from Fleet Farm and Menards. At both places it is found in the paint section.

Cheap hydrogen peroxide can be found in the health care section of any department store at about $1 per bottle (+/-). Yes this is the dilute stuff, but it works great with a small fish tank aerator pumping air to keep the agitation going.

Sulfuric acid - Rooto brand was found at my local Ace hardware. Hey Ace is the Place for sulfuric. Yes you can also get diluted sulfuric from any auto parts store and boil it down.

SMB - Sodium Metabisulfite. Ive gotten the product of White Out from the laundry aisle from my local grocery store. So far it looks like a great precipitant. Other SMB substitutes would be SO2 gas, sodium sufite (photo processing agent) Potassium meta bisulfite used in wine making could be found if you have a local wine and beer making shop.

Copper Mesh Screen for the cell - I found this at an arts and crafts store near the frames for artwork. It was in an odd spot, but if you look you can find it. The stuff I got was about $15 and was a fine weave so no pins could slip though.

Lead for the cell - Go to your out door recreation supplier and head for the guns area. I picked up a 5# box of 50 cal muzzle loader shot for about $7. Melt what you need, store or sell the rest.

Sodium Nitrate - go to your devoted lawn and garden store. They will have it at sodium nitrate or nitrate of soda. a substitute would be Blood Meal. In either case you are looking for something with a big first # and 0-0 for the other two. Sodium nitrate is 16-0-0 and blood meal is 12-0-0.

Buckets - this is my favorite because they can be FREE! I am able to get them from my local grocery store that has a full bakery inside. These buckets hold glazes and such. Its best to go in the late afternoon or early evening. My place says take as many as you want, otherwise we throw them in the garbage.

Your local stores may not have everything, but keep searching. Also if you take a vacation or just a road trip, stop in any hardware stores you find, you may get your stuff that way too.

Never_Evil: Those are great ideas. Way to think outside the box! Thanks for sharing.

I FINALLY found Muriatic acid at Lowes today. It was in the paint aisle near the stains and varnishes. It was $6.98 a gallon. It was labeled 20 baume. I forget what concentration it was now.

With sales tax in Washington at 8.6%, 4 gallons would cost me: $27.92 + $2.40 tax = $30.32. Is that a decent price? Sounds pretty reasonable to me, but I am just starting. javascript:emoticon(':)')

Chris

Palladium said:
I forget what the name of it is, But about a week ago i was in a Dollar General Store and was just looking at the drain cleaner isle to see what chemicals i could spot. I remember one of them was a product that had i believe it was 31 %, If not i remember it wasn't far off hydrochloric acid. The thing i do remember was it was $ 2 a bottle = 64 oz Or $ 4 a Gal. Someone check Dollar General and let me know.

SWEET! Thanks for the tip. I never would have considered a "dollar" store for chemicals. I will have to check my local dollar stores.

Chris

I'm a big fan of home brew shops for buckets, lab ware, tubing and SMB.
The price of HCl seems to vary widely. $4 w/ tax is the best price I've found so far.

When I first started recovery, I would discard my AP solution after each batch. I now realize you can really make it stretch by reviving it with aeration and fresh H2O2. I've run 20+ pounds of fingers and cpu's in 3 buckets with the same few gallons of HCl. Only 1 is aerated so I rotate them, that way they all get some lovin'. The solution might be about cashed as it's become very dark and voluminous.

I'm struggling to get the original AP solutions to the point of disposal. They have an insatiable appetite for steel. I would reuse them but they are now loaded with steel and mixed with SMB and acid-clorox.

Never_Evil said:
Copper Mesh Screen for the cell - I found this at an arts and crafts store near the frames for artwork. It was in an odd spot, but if you look you can find it. The stuff I got was about $15 and was a fine weave so no pins could slip though.

Lead for the cell - Go to your out door recreation supplier and head for the guns area. I picked up a 5# box of 50 cal muzzle loader shot for about $7. Melt what you need, store or sell the rest.

I have 2 rolls of 4x8 ft ( 1/16 in ) Lead. These came off of the facing of some Sheetrock that we use to install in hospitals to block radiation from going thru the walls. It is very easily bent or formed to shape. If someone needs some strips for a cell i can cut them and mail them to you.

I also have plenty of small mesh stainless steel screen if someone needs some for a cell or experiment. I'll let you get 2 sq ft.

All free, You just pay shipping.

I need some mesh for pins in AP. Is stainless safe in AP?

(i would experiment myself but I'm away from my refining setup for another couple weeks)

Rag N Bones,

I would advise against using any metal items in your AP batches. The cooper chloride does the etching work and the other metals will try to precipitate the copper out of the solution as well as causing other side reactions.

A plastic strainer or mesh is best. Buy one or make your own out of a bucket that fits inside the reaction bucket. Be sure the holes are large enough to allow the gold out, but small enough to keep the fingers in the inner bucket.

Steve

I went down to the local pool supply to get some supplies.

They had baquacil Oxidizer 27% H2O2 for $11.48 per gallon with a 20% preseason discount on all supply purchases.

That's under $10. per gallon with sales tax. That's hard to beat.

Back