• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

For sale

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1884 5 dollar gold coin
2016 50 dollar gold coin
Make a offer I've been trying to find out what I could ask for them but I have heard so many different prices.. please don't low ball I really need to sell them but I'm not trying to give them away

THANKSIMG_20211206_084957734_HDR.jpgIMG_20211206_084930967_HDR.jpgIMG_20211005_225750287.jpg

1884 5 dollar gold coin
2016 50 dollar gold coin
Make a offer I've been trying to find out what I could ask for them but I have heard so many different prices.. please don't low ball I really need to sell them but I'm not trying to give them away

THANKSView attachment 47880View attachment 47881View attachment 47882
Is it usual that the date stamped on the coin differs from the year it is produced?
I'm guessing the coin inside the plastic is the 50 dollar coin from 2016.
I'm just curious since it says 1933 on it.

Hello, 5 dollars 1884 Philadelphia, common, low grade conservation. A good deal for you will be: weight* gold Spot price.

Uh, is that supposed to be a 1933 St. Gaudens double eagle?? If so, I think you may have one of the most sought after coins on the planet. It's an interesting story to research & it's well known by most serious coin collectors. You might not want to flash that thing around too much in public though. I'm pretty sure it's still illegal to own or sell them & the secret service is probably still interested in the where abouts of any remaining 1933 St. Gaudens double eagles. They might want it back. I would too, it's not supposed to exist, and I think the last time one sold, it was for like 7 million dollars or something like that, and that was decades ago.

Cool looking 1884 liberty half eagle though. Obviously circulated, but I do love the "Pre-33/old gold". All I have is an Indian head quarter eagle though, and it's only "jewelry grade". Have you ever tested your coins on a Sigma machine? Looks like the double eagle was slabbed. I'm curious what the missing label said and what the grade was.

Anyhoo, welcome to the GRF! Feel free to introduce yourself to the forum and it's vigilant, ever-present moderators. Let us know what your interests & hobbies are, and what your level of recovery/ refining you are at. There is much information here, and many people here can be very helpful.

@war_child yes, for the U.S. government it is illegal own that coin but because his rarity I don't think is genuine coin, the picture is not good .

Uh, is that supposed to be a 1933 St. Gaudens double eagle??
If it was minted in 2016 then it may be a bullion coin - the tails side will have the 2016 date stamped on it as well as the 50 dollar face value as well as the gold weight & gold content (1 ozt. 9999 gold) --- the face side can/will be stamped as an original U.S. coin design

Minting bullion coins was passed into law in December 1985 - the mint minting them must be authorized by the U.S. government to stamp them out because having the 50 dollar face value stamped on them (on the back) makes them "legal tender" & therefore makes them a U.S. coin --- but they are also bullion because they are stamped with the gold weight & content so they are both bullion & coins --- not just coins

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Bullion_Coin_Act_of_1985
Mints are allowed to stamp out the same design (original coin-like design) without the legal tender dollar face value stamped on them but then they are called bullion rounds & MUST be advertised as rounds & not coins

What is stamped on the tails side ?

That will tell you if it is a bullion coin --- or a bullion round

Bullion coins generally sell for a higher price because as a coin they have a "collector" value & limited (by the government) in the number of them minted in the minting year

Whereas bullion rounds are not limited in the number of rounds the mint can stamp out - as rounds are not coins - they are simply bullion

Kurt

2016 50 dollar gold coin

View attachment 47882

Are you sure that is a coin & not a round

We need a picture of the tails side to be sure
--- it makes a difference in it's "possible" value

Coins may (or not) bring a higher price (depending on the buyer) whereas rounds are simply bullion valued on
the spot price

In other words - if it's a bullion coin it may have a coin collector value above spot (depending on the buyer/collector) whereas rounds are bullion valued on spot price/market

Kurt

In 2016 the mint released 3 commemorative coins struck in pure gold. They were the mercury dime tenth ounce, the standing liberty quarter ounce, and the walking liberty half ounce. I'm not aware of any St. Gaudens replica medals produced by the US mint. All the old gold is approximately 90% pure. The newer type of gold bullion eagles has a modified obverse and a completely different reverse. All the newer US eagle gold bullion coins are 22k (around 91.67% pure) and the first few years (86-91?) have the date in roman numerals.

We would definitely need to see the reverse of the coin/round/medal to make an offer. I suspect the reverse may be where it says "copy". If it's real gold, I would have to guess it is a tribute round made by a private mint, or something. I don't know of any other St. Gaudens type coin made by the mint besides the ultra-high relief proof gold eagle with edge lettering. Whatever it is, it is obviously referencing the fabled 1933 double eagles which were ordered destroyed, but 20 or so out of the +400,000 coins were snuck out of the mint and sold quietly on the black market. A classic inside job.

Here is a look at the St. Gaudens original design, as well as a look at the modern design. Midway through 2021 the mint changed the reverse of both silver and gold eagles to a new, type 2 design. The new gold eagle reverse is ok, but personally, I think they made a mistake on the silver eagles. I miss the heraldic eagle on the type 1's.

Attachments

• 20220117_193723.jpg
    20220117_193723.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220117_193101.jpg
    20220117_193101.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220117_193123.jpg
    20220117_193123.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 11
Some good info on gold constitutional and bullion coins. Opinions may differ, but still some good info.

Yankee Stacking

I love Yankee stacking! That is, as long as he isn't advertising for junior gold miners:cautious: Alot of the stacking channels are doing that now days.
The "Yankee Cannon" is all modern American 1oz gold eagles. He says he is going to start stacking the pre-33 gold now. I love the old gold, and here is my first:

Attachments

• 20210219_230740.jpg
    20210219_230740.jpg
  • 20210219_230749.jpg
    20210219_230749.jpg
Hi Freddie,
I am willing to pay you $415.00 for the five dollar gold. Additionally, I'll pay the shipping (priority, signature required) and for the fees ($27.72) charged by Escrow.com. This way we are both protected, I get three days to
authenticate the coin (XRF) before the funds are released to you. Let me know if this is satisfactory.
Regards,
Bill Hutson

Is it usual that the date stamped on the coin differs from the year it is produced?
I'm sorry I didn't realize I uploaded the wrong picture for the 50 dollar coin I will fix that asap

Sorry wrong picture I will fix that asap

All good Freddie! I'm sure you won't have any problem selling a 1oz $50 American gold eagle. It's among the most desirable and liquid gold bullion coins on the planet. Most trusted retailers charge a higher premium on gold and silver eagles than standard bullion coins from other sovereign mints (not including limited mintage or collector coins). If it's in descent condition, with no big scuffs or abrasions, most local coin shops/ bullion dealers anywhere around me would be offering something over spot price. Even some online bullion dealers are paying over spot right now, though I personally wouldn't feel comfortable sending something like that off in the mail.

What's the deal with the 1933 20 dollar double eagle? In the picture above it looks like it was cracked out of a slab, possibly certified. You didn't march that thing down to your surly, old local coin shop owner, did ya?;) This picture is a good starting point for what a 2016 AGE would cost you today. I feel Apmex is usually more expensive than I am willing to pay, but they are a good source to find specific mintage years, in stock.

Are you into precious metal recovery or refining at all? I am currently collecting & processing different components from old computer equipment and other discarded electronics. I am researching how to extract the precious metals in hopes to later refine them and eventually pour myself a nice bar, or a shiny button(s)! Others here process everything from industrial scrap to old jewelry and refine the values. Some here consider themselves hobbyist, others do it professionally, and on an industrial scale. This forum has an abundance of helpful posts and members. I imagine any level of refiner across the world would consider this forum a veritable "goldmine" once they have found it.

Good Luck!
mike

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220118-050245_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220118-050245_Chrome.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 7
Back