Fulminate of Mercury?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nountaineer

My mining engineer/ chemist friend once told me I almost blew myself up when I added ethyl alcohol to Mercury dissolved in strong nitric acid. A puff of smoke came out of the beaker and it started boiling rapidly. The alcohol was for smelling salts type of use because it also had ammonia in it. My friend didn't know what effect the ammonia had on that reaction. Can anyone here tell me what effect it had on it?

My mining engineer/ chemist friend once told me I almost blew myself up when I added ethyl alcohol to Mercury dissolved in strong nitric acid. A puff of smoke came out of the beaker and it started boiling rapidly. The alcohol was for smelling salts type of use because it also had ammonia in it. My friend didn't know what effect the ammonia had on that reaction. Can anyone here tell me what effect it had on it?

If there is ammonia in the solution, then you will get Millon's base salt:
Hg(NO3)2 + NH3 + H2O→ [Hg2N]NO3 + NH4NO3 + H2O
But the main problem is the fast explosive decomposition of strong nitric acid under the influence of ethanol. A very unpredictable and dangerous reaction.
The formation of mercury fulminate requires slightly different conditions. You won't receive it.

If there is ammonia in the solution, then you will get Millon's base salt:
Hg(NO3)2 + NH3 + H2O→ [Hg2N]NO3 + NH4NO3 + H2O
But the main problem is the fast explosive decomposition of strong nitric acid under the influence of ethanol. A very unpredictable and dangerous reaction.
The formation of mercury fulminate requires slightly different conditions. You won't receive it.
Thank you, I don't live that dangerously any more. I just interact with bear and lion. They seem to tolerate me. The local lion was less than 10 ft behind me 3 years ago.

Back