Fumes, and flux questions

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edge357

Hello. I'm new to the gold refining world and still working on my first attempt at refining. At this point, I have removed my gold from my boards and have everything filtered into an old pickle jar. While I wait for the weekend when I can begin refining again, i'm letting excess water evaporate. The first question I have is about glazing the ceramic crucible. I couldn't seem to find any info on the process. The second question is about fumes from melting the precipitate to the solid. Are any fumes given off that prevents me from melting with a kiln indoors? I may be able to use one but the owner wants to know about the fumes and if it will damage the kiln in any way. A link to any previous threads would be all I need, unless you wanted to type it out. Thanks for your help!

edge, welcome to the forum.

For small quantities of gold, most use a melting dish rather than a crucible.

Most of what we do creates dangerous, toxic fumes. None of this should be done indoors without an appropriate fume hood.

If you follow the links in the Tips for Navigating and Posting on the Forum , you should find some information on glazing a dish.

Dave

Thanks for the replies. I may try a propane torch instead of the kiln. Less hassle. Especially since they aren't too sure about what I intend to do with it. If it all goes well, i'll probably look for my own kiln, and set it up outside. I hope to get a good haul. My first mix was done in a 5 gallon bucket, a little more than half full with material. Being as it's my first time I can't tell how much i'll get out of it. I'm shooting for 2 oz., or more. I'm trying to keep everything on the cheap until I have the end result. Then i'll refine my process to make it easier. The glazing looked easy enough. I'll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks again for the info.

2 ozt. yield is a lot from a half full 5 gallon bucket. How many pounds of boards have you stripped to anticipate that?

I didn't think to weigh it first. But if I had to guess, i'd say around 10-15lbs. Maybe i'm being optimistic.

Well rinsed dry gold sponge will melt in a kiln indoors and not effect the coils on the kiln. The kiln is likely vented to get rid of heat but well rinsed dry gold melts without fume.

Latest posts

Back