Gallery of what not to refine!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
relgycandy said:
It's missing a carved moonstone smiling face screw back lapel button that went in the center hole. It should have looked much like the lower one.
?????

Kevin

Geo, we both replied at the same time.

What is he/she talking about? I know that quote came from the first post, but... I don't get that reply.

Kevin

macfixer01 said:
Well I believe this little Pre-Columbian fellow will remain safe from melting as I enjoy having him around. I keep intending to find somewhere to host the picture as an avatar. He weighs around 113 Grams as I recall. This was the first purchase in my Tumbaga collecting phase. I'm not so sure the other items I bought after him will remain intact though. Some were less attractive items I bought purely on a weight/price basis with the intent to recover the gold. However I have a job that basically affords me next to no free time right now, so nothing was done with any of them yet. Of course how much gold is in any particular Tumbaga item or the exact alloyed metals is unknown (usually copper and silver). Some low karat Tumbaga items can look pretty good when the outside is etched with various vegetable juices, leaving behind a higher gold concentration on the surface than the interior alloy. On the plus side if I never get around to processing them then I guess I won't know which ones I lost money on. This is truly all just a hobby for the foreseeable future.

I'm also very fond of some of the Victorian 9K rose gold watch chains and fobs I've picked up. No guessing there, beautiful workmanship and hallmarked on every link.

macfixer01

What a wonderful piece! Did Indiana Jones get that for you? Just kidding! I have dreamed about having an old, South American golden figurine. I didn't know they were available for purchase. I guess I will have to do some internet searching.....

qst42know said:
More realistically such as this piece, 46g 14K or better.

I bought this over a year ago and haven't been able to part with it. :D

For a secret organization the early masons sure were a flashy bunch :lol:

It's missing a carved moonstone smiling face screw back lapel button that went in the center hole. It should have looked much like the lower one.

33rd Degree Mason. Big Fish.

http://www.biblebelievers.org.au/33rd.htm

Silver Palladium over ceramic vase from Joseph Swetye in Salem, Ohio from late 1940's. I gave this to my wife as a present so I wouldn't be tempted although I'm sure I enjoy more than the metal value.
John

Edit for spelling

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 133

Latest posts

Back