General Cementation Theory & Procedure

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snoman701

I have searched the forum, but have yet to find a really good discussion of cementation, past "cement with copper, never cement with silver". I understand the electromotive series, and the generality of the process of reduction through transfer of electrons. Where my knowledge falls off are the conditions, a true understanding of contraindications, etc.

So I'll make the following statements, they could be right, they could be wrong...please correct or discuss as necessary. I will come back and edit, in red, any corrections that need to be made so as to not mislead people in the future.

1) In general, I believe that if one wants to cement fast, but not complete, a more concentrated solution will be the ticket.

2) If one wants to cement complete, but not fast, a less concentrated solution will work.

3) The use of heat, increases the speed of cementation, and free acid consumption.

4) Free acid is a necessary component of the cementation reaction.

5) As concentration of metal ions decreases, the ORP of the solution falls, increasing the likelyhood of ion exchange in cementation reaction. I know that pH also comes in to play here, but I don't fully understand how.

There is also alkaline (cyanide) very common cementation, hence you speak here about ACIDIC cementation

Some free acid (not talking about cyanide solutions here) is usually helpful but not a requirement. For example a bit of nitric acid when cementing silver from nitrate solution with copper will clean the surface from oxides and make it easier to cement the silver. But this reaction is working just fine with clean copper and a neutral silver nitrate solution.
Like this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC41uXYb7Dg

While cementing copper with iron an acidic solution makes it easier. Iron easily forms insoluble compounds at neutral pH. With a bit of acid in it the iron compounds are soluble and will not hinder the copper to get to the iron metal.

This page is still just a draft but there are a couple of links at the bottom.
http://goldrefiningwiki.com/mediawiki/index.php/Cementing

Göran

Latest posts

Back