Ghetto Chemist

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supafly

ok youll love this lol. ive seen a lot of videos and dug around the net to git the basic info on refining gold at home. my uncle has given me a folgers coffee plastic container filled about 2/3 of the way with cpu pins, and a lil fuzz from storage over the years. couldnt find the real acid so used 1pt. of muriatic acid and 1/4 cup of crushed campden tablets (for the sodium nitrate) mixed it with about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the pins inside a slightly larger than 1pt. canning jar. it turned very green at first then took it and heated on a george foreman grill to speed up process lol. most of the pins were stripped of gold but now have a jar with a layer of the pins at the bottom and a layer of bluish liquid and a layer of brown murky fluid at top. cant get any urea til mon morning cuz of holiday. i heard i could use other urine "types" but figure ill wait lol. anywho, if done properly how much gold do u think can be refined from about 8lbs of pins that are from much older cpus than todays pcs have in them? granted this is just a lil test run to chek it out, more fun than anything else. hope u got a chuckle and thx in advance for any replys.

supafly

Looks like you used potassium or sodium metabisulphite not nitrate with the Campden tabs:

Wiki Campden

The blue is likely just some copper that dissolved in the HCl.

Steve

well crap. thx for the reply. i bought the campden tablets cuz the chemist at the brewery said it would suffice for the sodum nitrate. i also bought 4 2oz bottles of what is labeled potassium metabisulfite. was going to use that to drop the gold. but i can have them order me sodium metabisulfite they said. guess ill have to hold off and get the exact stuff.

Latest posts

Back