Glass BGA Dyes

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssmontecarlo

Supporting Member
The glass dyes on BGA and other chips have a gold color...or that's what I see. And yes I am color blind. Inherited it from my grandfather. My wife says they are green. Are they gold or green. Do the glass dyes contain any metals?....just curious.

The materials deposited on silicon dice are very very thin. I don't know if the colors come from some kind of transparent thin-film optical effect (like, an oil slick on water, or those colorful bits on deli meats), a reflected diffraction effect from repeated patterns (like on the back of a CD/DVD), or even some compounds which just have a color.

Sometimes, the very last layer is a gold layer, but only just enough so that the relatively massive gold bonding wire can bond correctly.

They have no value to me, and yet I do get stuck just staring at them through the loup for no reason. I found an easter egg once, or it could just be that company likes to put their logo on their chips.

Light is diffracted by the fine lines and various metal oxide‘s applied on the die. Similar to looking at dichroic filters or anodized metals like aluminum or tantalum. The surface can appear various shades of gold, blue, green, red, purple, depending on the light source and the angle you view it from.

Latest posts

Back