Gold bromide and cyclodextrin

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewNSD

I'm new here, I've read about using cyclodextrine to selectively crystalize gold bromide from solution. Im just short of bachelors in biology so I have a pretty good knowledge of chemistry. I have no problem making my own cyclodextrin, but HBr is expensive and idk if I can make it so that it's cheap enough to be worth it. Once it's filtered off as crystals is it just smelted from there?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

This is an interesting process but from a theoretical point of view. I don't know of any refiner that is using this reaction in a practical process. There are a lot of other easier and well proved processes for refining gold.

I recommend you to download Hoke's book and read it. It should be an easy read for someone with your background. It is lacking in detailed chemical descriptions but it shows the processes used in refining.

Bromide is used in a few processes but mainly in platinum group metal (pgm) refining. For gold you only need hydrochloric acid, nitric acid is helpful but there are working alternatives if you have problem to get nitric.

Göran

Latest posts

Back