Gold colored film on top of solution after stannous test

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ragood

I dissolved some gold filled scrap foils in HCl and 30% H2O2 and put a drop in a white spoon to do a stannous test. The stannous test turned black, but then a gold colored film formed on the surface of the drop of solution. See attached picture. Does anyone know what caused that gold colored film? Thank you.

Attachments

• PXL_20240729_140455624~2.jpg
    PXL_20240729_140455624~2.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 0
I've done stannous tests in a spoon before and never saw the gold colored film before. When I filtered the solution I saw some gold colored film on the inside of my vacuum flask, too.

@ragood Your test on a white spoon is similar to testing on a porcelain spot plate. I often tell people to use a piece of filter paper or paper towel to test a drop of solution. I would love to see how your heavily gold laden sample looks on paper so we would have a comparison. A photo would be helpful if you could test it on paper.

@ragood Your test on a white spoon is similar to testing on a porcelain spot plate. I often tell people to use a piece of filter paper or paper towel to test a drop of solution. I would love to see how your heavily gold laden sample looks on paper so we would have a comparison. A photo would be helpful if you could test it on paper.
I have already precipitated the gold with SMB. It wasn't a very concentrated solution. I yielded only 7.3 grams of gold from about 1200 ml of solution. Since I was refining gold filled scrap foils, I had a bunch junk down in the bottom of the beaker. I used acid/peroxide to dissolve the base metal substrates leaving the foils. It took about 6 weeks in acid peroxide with a bubbler and there were a few pieces that still had base metals remaining. The scrap was watch cases and watch band caps, some jewelry and a gold filled Cross pen. Some of the foils were tiny bits so I put everything in the HCl and 30%H2O2 solution.

Latest posts

Back