Gold content in an ebay type glob

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claudie

Somehow I drifted to the back side of YouTube and happened across this video. The guy made a bar from melting Gold plated connector pins from motherboards and sent it away for analysis. He shows the results he received. Maybe this will help some of the new guys that come here with a box full of these they have bought from ebay.
http://youtu.be/VmKkb_33koQ?t=42s

EDIT:
2.6% Nickel
80%Copper
15.3% Zinc
2% Tin
99.96% NOT GOLD

Think about it, copper + tin = bronze. The pins were slot connector pins with a gold content of about 0.01%. That 0.04% may be an exaggeration. Even at 0.04%. 123.2g of metal will contain 0.049g of gold. That's probably more than is actually there.

Edited to correct alloy. I meant to say phosphor bronze and left out phosphor and zinc.

Barren Realms 007 said:
Too bad the guy didn't post the fleabay link.

Actually, he makes the drops and sells them on Ebay. We talked about it and he says people should know better.

would you sell a three nine's bar of gold as a copper bar.
Gold is no more than a trace impurity so people should not describe them as being for "Gold Recovery".
They are great little bar's if you want to do some casting work but they should not be advertised as any thing other than scrap bronze and that is if you wanted to be generous.
Muggers say kind of the same thing as your friend.E,G."He should not have taken a short cut down such a dark ally what was did he expect??"
Still I have bought my share of brass ring's and tungsten filled items so it is the only way to learn some times.
Let us hope disseminating the right information helps' reduce this trade.

That guy talk so much of nonsense in his videos no wonder people are coming here with stupid ideas after watching that garbage.

patnor1011 said:
That guy talk so much of nonsense in his videos no wonder people are coming here with stupid ideas after watching that garbage.

I agree 100%

Barren Realms 007 said:
If someone put gold flakes in a pile of poop they could find an idiot on fleabay to buy it. :roll:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PP10-1-Real-MOOSE-POOP-doo-doo-nugget-gold-NECKLACE-jewelry-fun-WEIRD-gift-/390422664338?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae7011492

Claudie said:
Barren Realms 007 said:
If someone put gold flakes in a pile of poop they could find an idiot on fleabay to buy it. :roll:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PP10-1-Real-MOOSE-POOP-doo-doo-nugget-gold-NECKLACE-jewelry-fun-WEIRD-gift-/390422664338?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae7011492

ROFLMAO... See I told you.

Barren Realms 007 said:
Claudie said:
Barren Realms 007 said:

ROFLMAO... See I told you.
What a wonderful gift.
I may have to get one for my Ex and not tell her what it is.

That's pure gold! :mrgreen:

If someone wants raw materials for a necklace, I have some I collected a couple of years ago just to see if I could sell it on ebay.
Painting and polishing the turd is left to the buyer.

... getting ready for the onrush of buyers... 8)

Göran

justinhcase said:
What a wonderful gift.
I may have to get one for my Ex and not tell her what it is.

Nah I would say it with flowers. Buy her a triffid....

Geo said:
Think about it, copper + tin = bronze. The pins were slot connector pins with a gold content of about 0.01%. That 0.04% may be an exaggeration. Even at 0.04%. 123.2g of metal will contain 0.049g of gold. That's probably more than is actually there.

Edited to correct alloy. I meant to say phosphor bronze and left out phosphor and zinc.

That gives me an idea Geo!
My wife is an artist and I have been saving scrap bronze for a while for future sculpture.
Now I know what to do with the pins after I remove the foils :)
If she gives up on it I can always cast boat propeller blades or sell them on ebay as bronze recovery nuggets.

A friend of mine sent about 150 lbs of pins into a refiner and came out with about 3.50 troy ounces. that was in the 90s when gold was arround 400.00 per oz

hillminer said:
A friend of mine sent about 150 lbs of pins into a refiner and came out with about 3.50 troy ounces. that was in the 90s when gold was arround 400.00 per oz

Is the 3.5ozt before or after the refiner fee?

hillminer said:

That's $28/pound at a $1200 spot. Your friend probably got cheated, especially if they were fully plated pins.

Back