Gold dissapeared in hcl and peroxide mix

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cableman

I used a ratio of 2 to 1 of muriatic (hcl) to peroxide all regular strength, nothing concentrated. I have used this is the past to get the gold flakes of fingers and have had no problem. This time I wanted to remove the gold from about 27 smart cards like come out of satellite receivers. I cut out the small square and put them in a 1000ml beaker. Then I added very little mix, maybe it came up to an inch at the most in the beaker. Everything was fine and the flakes were coming off perfect and looked great. Then one day I went out to the garage and all the gold was gone. I presume dissolved. What in the world do I do to regain my gold. Stannous chloride says no gold present but it is a couple of months old and I am waiting on an order to mix some more so I cant trust it. Please tell me what to do now. I heated it to boil off any acid and added water to dilute but smb still will not drop. Any ideas??

The contact points inside the card have a layer of copper in them that likely cemented your gold back out onto the inner metallic portion of the card.

If you have access to AR, you can use it to leach the cemented gold from inside the card's contact points. These cards only have a small amount of gold on the contact points. (0.85g Au per pound of clean card points, no plastic card).

Steve

Latest posts

Back