Gold filled filtrate

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pictures would have been nice but I am going to need to study up before trying it. Now I am curious if I can do it. All I need is the time.

Well frugal was right as to the source of the contamination, the Büchner funnel.

B53F7177-53A1-433A-B3A8-2BF570AADF77.jpeg

After filtering through a clean sterile glass funnel.

I guess I should be more diligent on keeping things that have touched real dirty stuff with silver away from clean gold solutions.

The white impurity didn’t look like silver Chloride

On a side note, does anyone use the glass frit Büchner funnel for refining?

I’m thinking of switching to those and just getting a real course fast frit and appropriate filter paper to put over it.

I have a couple for all around chemistry but their so cheap and see through and turn any flask with proper joint or with some clever mods a beaker with no spout into a vacuum vessel.

Williamjf77 said:
On a side note, does anyone use the glass frit Büchner funnel for refining?

I’m thinking of switching to those and just getting a real course fast frit and appropriate filter paper to put over it.

I have a couple for all around chemistry but their so cheap and see through and turn any flask with proper joint or with some clever mods a beaker with no spout into a vacuum vessel.

Be careful with applying vacuum to vessels not designed to handle pressure. There is a reason that Büchner flasks have thick walls.
An imploding beaker full of aqua regia and gold chloride is not something I would like to see.

... and for those that doesn't understand what vacuum might do to a vessel...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM-k1zofs58

Göran

Thanks , yeah I actually picked it out of the dish too early and squeezed the pipe shut a little.

Mapp gas torch and it took forever. I backed it up with kaowool but it seems like the standard torch tip isn’t very good for that. I have a blacksmith propane forge I was going to use but that thing really blows some air through it. It’s lined with itc 100 and gets really hot, next time I’ll probably start it with the torch then after it’s hot and some flux cover on it, pop it in the forge.

Thanks to all that helped.

Very nice button..thanks for posting the picture. I should have a new one tomorrow, maybe late tonight if the washing goes well.

Latest posts

Back