gold filled in aqua regia

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Butcher. How do you free the nitric acid. What I was thinking of doing is adding magnesium ribbon to the solution after I strain it.

Have you eliminated free nitric acid? You should do this if not.

Let these silver salts settle, decant (siphon or pour off solution into filter, do not disturb powders) filter solution (if gold this solution should be a nice yellow color), (copper in solution will make it green).

Save the silver salts after washing in boiling hot water, store them wet.[/quote]

Kaserta,
"Thank you Butcher. How do you free the nitric acid. What I was thinking of doing is adding magnesium ribbon to the solution after I strain it."

NO do not use magnesium ribbon.

You must read Hoke’s book, you will be doing everything wrong if you do not, and you will lose your gold. Read the book and learn how to do this.

Nobody can tell you how to do all of this, you must READ Hoke’s book ,to find out all of the things you need.
Too many things to tell you, you are losing money and gold if you do not read.

When you make nitric acid, you use a sodium or potassium nitrate and sulfuric acid.
You did not say which nitrate; I will use sodium in example.
2NaNO3 + H2SO4 --> Na2SO4 + 2HNO3
Here sodium nitrate (NaNO3) added to sulfuric acid (H2SO4)
Makes -->
Sodium sulfate Na2SO4and nitric acid HNO3

The sodium sulfate is a salt (white powder) that is dissolved in nitric acid, you can freeze the nitric solution to remove most of this salt (but not all of it).
Unless you distill the acid, (heat to gas and condense gas back to liquid). Leaving salt in boiling vessel.

You can use the home made nitric (after freezing and removing liquid from sodium sulfate salt) to remove most base metals, or in some processes.

But unless you distill you will have some of the sulfate salt in nitric, this can give trouble with metals like silver, silver sulfate is not soluble (will not dissolve easy) and if you tried to dissolve silver in this home made nitric some of the silver it dissolved would become silver sulfate (which is white powder hard to get the silver back from).
Do not use home made nitric acid for silver,

After using hot nitric to remove all base metals (copper and other metals) you washed remaining powders (gold if all other base metals gone).

Then you dissolved in aqua regia, the gold should make liquid yellow (if green you did not do good job removing all copper first with nitric alone) (a light green mostly yellow is ok),

Now we need to eliminate free nitric in solution (nitric still in solution that did not get used up to dissolve gold), to do this we heat solution (not boil) we just want to heat till fumes come off, (if you have some clean gold you can add to help use up nitric acid), we heat till solution removes most of liquid and gets thicker like syrup (do not heat too fast can boil over, when syrup add just a little bit HCl not too much (4 drops of sulfuric acid). Heat again to syrup, add HCl just to wet, and one more time to syrup, remove from heat add water 4 times as much as syrup, put lid on let set all night in morning you will see white salts on bottom, decant solution (remove liquid and filter but leave white salt wash salt and save keep wet), the filtered liquid (gold you can now use sodium metabisulfite,
To precipitate gold), it will look like brown powder.

Are you reading Hoke’s book?
You must do this if you want gold and to learn, I cannot tell you how to do all this you must learn it from reading, too many details, you will not know how to get gold, and no gold for Kaserta,
(If Kaserta doe’s not read the how to do it book Hoke’s it will tell all of this.

Test solution with stannous chloride to see where your gold is, if you have precipitated all gold out of solution.

I am going to make individual batches from now on when needed to work with the same day. When I start refining a large quantity, I will make concentrated right away. "I find it works best when sulfuric acid is is added to sodium nitrate and created heat. This worked best for me. I noticed after I strained liquid from crystals that liquid had no potency left. I just refied 15 cpu and recovered 4 grams of pure gold powder after washing and cleaning.
It seems as if its not worth the money unless you can get the material cheap.
I am finally happy that I have learned the system of gold recovery and see great results, but does the amount spent equal to the amout of product recieved. If I am going to spend $400 and only get 9 grams it is not worth refining.

butcher said:
Kaserta,
"Thank you Butcher. How do you free the nitric acid. What I was thinking of doing is adding magnesium ribbon to the solution after I strain it."

NO do not use magnesium ribbon.

You must read Hoke’s book, you will be doing everything wrong if you do not, and you will lose your gold. Read the book and learn how to do this.

Nobody can tell you how to do all of this, you must READ Hoke’s book ,to find out all of the things you need.
Too many things to tell you, you are losing money and gold if you do not read.

When you make nitric acid, you use a sodium or potassium nitrate and sulfuric acid.
You did not say which nitrate; I will use sodium in example.
2NaNO3 + H2SO4 --> Na2SO4 + 2HNO3
Here sodium nitrate (NaNO3) added to sulfuric acid (H2SO4)
Makes -->
Sodium sulfate Na2SO4and nitric acid HNO3

The sodium sulfate is a salt (white powder) that is dissolved in nitric acid, you can freeze the nitric solution to remove most of this salt (but not all of it).
Unless you distill the acid, (heat to gas and condense gas back to liquid). Leaving salt in boiling vessel.

You can use the home made nitric (after freezing and removing liquid from sodium sulfate salt) to remove most base metals, or in some processes.

But unless you distill you will have some of the sulfate salt in nitric, this can give trouble with metals like silver, silver sulfate is not soluble (will not dissolve easy) and if you tried to dissolve silver in this home made nitric some of the silver it dissolved would become silver sulfate (which is white powder hard to get the silver back from).
Do not use home made nitric acid for silver,

After using hot nitric to remove all base metals (copper and other metals) you washed remaining powders (gold if all other base metals gone).

Then you dissolved in aqua regia, the gold should make liquid yellow (if green you did not do good job removing all copper first with nitric alone) (a light green mostly yellow is ok),

Now we need to eliminate free nitric in solution (nitric still in solution that did not get used up to dissolve gold), to do this we heat solution (not boil) we just want to heat till fumes come off, (if you have some clean gold you can add to help use up nitric acid), we heat till solution removes most of liquid and gets thicker like syrup (do not heat too fast can boil over, when syrup add just a little bit HCl not too much (4 drops of sulfuric acid). Heat again to syrup, add HCl just to wet, and one more time to syrup, remove from heat add water 4 times as much as syrup, put lid on let set all night in morning you will see white salts on bottom, decant solution (remove liquid and filter but leave white salt wash salt and save keep wet), the filtered liquid (gold you can now use sodium metabisulfite,
To precipitate gold), it will look like brown powder.

Are you reading Hoke’s book?
You must do this if you want gold and to learn, I cannot tell you how to do all this you must learn it from reading, too many details, you will not know how to get gold, and no gold for Kaserta,
(If Kaserta doe’s not read the how to do it book Hoke’s it will tell all of this.

Test solution with stannous chloride to see where your gold is, if you have precipitated all gold out of solution.

Thank you once again good friend for all your help. You saved me a lot of time and money. You are a true friend for sharing this information with me ( a total stranger)
Thank you once more

Back