gold flakes in a metal rust mud

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman

Hi everbody. I'm new to this whole thing. So I used muratic acid and peroxide to separate gold from gold plated pins and it worked. I did the same batch twice like some videos I saw said to if you had gold still on them. My result was gold flakes inside of a pile of rust mud. How do I get rid of this Sandy rust mud to get the gold? All help would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• 20150626_203205.jpg
    20150626_203205.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 231
  • 20150626_203217.jpg
    20150626_203217.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 231
Wear gloves!

The idea is to separate the stuff that is dissolved by the muriatic acid and peroxide from the gold flakes that haven't dissolved. How did it get dried out?

Dave

That's what came out when I filtered it though the coffee filters. So do I need to run it through again?

Wear gloves, indeed! Treat all the chemicals you work with like poison, cause they are! Some of them can cause cancer and much we don't even know! We do not only wear gloves for protection of strong acids, but most of all for protection of chemicals getting in our blood by our skin. Do it safe or just do not do it at all!

saxman, it looks to me like you didn't process your pins completely. As I said in my first post, the idea with muriatic acid and peroxide is to separate all the stuff that will dissolve (the base metals) from the stuff that won't (the precious metals). If that's what you filtered out, you still have a lot of base metal left (what you refer to as rusty mud).

Videos can be a useful part of your education, but they usually leave out a lot of details.

I always recommend C.M. Hoke's book to new members. You'll find links in my signature line below. Although she does not describe the acid/peroxide process, she does teach a lot of the basic information that will help you understand recovery and refining.

There are hundreds of posts about the A/P process on the forum.

I created a thread called Tips for Navigating and Posting on the Forum to help new members get familiar with the forum. It includes some suggestions on how to find the information you're looking for.

I wish you luck.

Dave

Latest posts

Back