Gold from Laptop batteries

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nknewberry

[youtube][/youtube] use this link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll9Wqj5sjeEhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll9Wqj5sjeE This shows another source of gold from laptop batteries

A lot of work for a tiny bit of gold. My guess is that the ring only have gold flash.

Göran

Is worth far more less then the Cobalt and the Nickel that is inside that battery that is throwing away.

Store them ....and when you have enough ...sell them...... they can reuse those metals to make another battery.

Not to mention the danger of rupturing the batter when trying to get the GP ring out - ruptured battery = exposed to lithium :shock: not a good idea :!:

Kurt

johnny309 said:
Is worth far more less then the Cobalt and the Nickel that is inside that battery that is throwing away.

Store them ....and when you have enough ...sell them...... they can reuse those metals to make another battery.

I am extracting the other metals and the MnO2 along with the gold. I am not throwing it away. and by the way it is aluminum and copper coated with manganese dioxide and a lithium polymer. I am currently working on extracting the lithium and separating all of the components

kurtak said:
Not to mention the danger of rupturing the batter when trying to get the GP ring out - ruptured battery = exposed to lithium :shock: not a good idea :!:

Kurt

Do you know the dangers of the lithium that is present in the battery? It is a lithium polymer not a metal sheet. It is not really that dangerous. Plus lithium isnt very reactive anyways, All you have to do is get a pan of water and if the battery heats up just throw it in until it discharges. But u have to really tear up the battery to get it to short.

you really have to wonder where some people learn their info of chem i mean even my 13 year old knows better than to mess with batteries from most electronics she knows if it is rechargable it is dangerous. Was the simplest way i could explain to her

MissRoxy said:
you really have to wonder where some people learn their info of chem i mean even my 13 year old knows better than to mess with batteries from most electronics she knows if it is rechargable it is dangerous. Was the simplest way i could explain to her

The wonderful world of youtube information. :p

Barren Realms 007 said:
MissRoxy said:

The wonderful world of youtube information. :p

laughs anyone putting their life in the hands of youtube i guess gets what they get
another thing i taught both my daughters just because youtube says it doesnt make it true
good example youtube has tons of videos saying you can makear with HCL and anything ending in nitrite
but my understanding of HCL and nitrites is you would get nitric acid and element that was with the nitrite as a cholride such as if you mixed HCl + KNO3 = HNO3 + KCL if i am not mistaken and that is not look like the equation for AR HNO3+3 HCl

MissRoxy said:
laughs anyone putting their life in the hands of youtube i guess gets what they get
another thing i taught both my daughters just because youtube says it doesnt make it true
We agree on that!

good example youtube has tons of videos saying you can makear with HCL and anything ending in nitrite
but my understanding of HCL and nitrites is you would get nitric acid and element that was with the nitrite as a cholride such as if you mixed HCl + KNO3 = HNO3 + KCL if i am not mistaken and that is not look like the equation for AR HNO3+3 HCl
I have to make some clarifications here. I believe you mean nitrates, not nitrites. Nitrites are NO2-, nitrates are NO3-.

If you add just enough nitrate (called the stoichiometric amount), such as KNO3, to the right amount of HCl, you'll make HNO3 + KCl as you've shown. But if you take that combined product and add it to more HCl, you'll have aqua regia with some KCl in it. We refer to it as poor man's AR, because nitric is often expensive and can be difficult to obtain, so finding a nitrate source such as KNO3 or NaNO3 can be a less expensive way to make AR on a frugal budget.

You're getting there, but it takes a while for all this chemistry to come together.

Dave

FrugalRefiner said:
MissRoxy said:
We agree on that!

I have to make some clarifications here. I believe you mean nitrates, not nitrites. Nitrites are NO2-, nitrates are NO3-.

If you add just enough nitrate (called the stoichiometric amount), such as KNO3, to the right amount of HCl, you'll make HNO3 + KCl as you've shown. But if you take that combined product and add it to more HCl, you'll have aqua regia with some KCl in it. We refer to it as poor man's AR, because nitric is often expensive and can be difficult to obtain, so finding a nitrate source such as KNO3 or NaNO3 can be a less expensive way to make AR on a frugal budget.

You're getting there, but it takes a while for all this chemistry to come together.

laughs see now the videos i had seen failed to mention the addition of HCl a second time yes that would make more sense to me then. i have nothing against finding a more cost effective way of doing things and oddly that is kind of how i ended up here on this site i am a glass blower and found a free source of fire clay with a sweet bonus in my waste from cleaning the clay haha i found gold

Dave

MissRoxy said:
laughs see now the videos i had seen failed to mention the addition of HCl a second time yes that would make more sense to me then. i have nothing against finding a more cost effective way of doing things and oddly that is kind of how i ended up here on this site i am a glass blower and found a free source of fire clay with a sweet bonus in my waste from cleaning the clay haha i found gold
You don't need to add HCl a second time. I just used that as a way to explain that if you create nitric acid from a nitrate and HCl and add more HCl you'd create aqua regia. In practice, you just start with enough HCl and add some nitrate, but not enough to react with all the HCl to make nitric.

Dave

Back