Gold on aluminum?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinrat

I have about a dozen identical boards and several of the aluminum mounting plates appear to be gold colored. Is this like an anodized product? I’m out of test solution currently. If there is gold present, how do you go about extraction? Is it worthwhile?

Attachments

• 595A546B-D9CA-41ED-8E89-34009419C453.jpeg
    595A546B-D9CA-41ED-8E89-34009419C453.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
I have about a dozen identical boards and several of the aluminum mounting plates appear to be gold colored. Is this like an anodized product? I’m out of test solution currently. If there is gold present, how do you go about extraction? Is it worthwhile?
What kind of testing solution are you referring to?
Most of these kinds of plating are quite thin, so even if it looks like much it may not amount to much in the end.
Cut off a small piece and put it in HCl.
If it is gold plated the gold will remain while the Aluminium will be dissolved.

Anodizing is usually done with some chemical, one such is iodine which imparts a golden color while reducing wear by increasing oxide layer. "The most common anodizing processes on aluminium use chromic acid, sulfuric acid or oxalic acid (Wernick et al., 1987). Other acids, such as phosphoric acid and boric sulfuric acid mix, are now used in the market for anodizing in the aerospace industry." The most common anodizing processes on aluminium use chromic acid, sulfuric acid or oxalic acid (Wernick et al., 1987). Other acids, such as phosphoric acid and boric sulfuric acid mix, are now used in the market for anodizing in the aerospace industry.

Back