Gold Powder Color

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jquickshot

First post, so let me say thanks to the many folks on this board who have helped me tremendously over the last few months. I have been reading the materials and started slowly as suggested processing Fingers using LaserSteve's AP method from his Processing Fingers video. I have processed several batches of Fingers with varying qualities. In the picture, the vial on the left contains the gold powder from the first few batches. When I noticed a color variation in the last two batches I put the powder into a different vial. The vial on the left is more of a cinamon color and the right has a little more orange color. From what I have read it appears that the cinnamon color is what should be expected from a higher quality gold? However, it wasn't until I got to the orange colored batches that the powder dropped very quickly in SMB and it didn't stick to the sides and bottom of the glassware during the cleaning and drying process. Can someone please give me advice on whether either of these powders appear more pure and whether I should dissolve the less pure powder again or just take it throught the boiling HCL and boiling water cleaning steps? Thanks

Attachments

• DSCN1721_rev.jpg
    DSCN1721_rev.jpg
    270.4 KB
they both look fine to me. the left vial looks more finely divided than the right and that can change the reflection of the light some. white salts can make your powder appear to be lighter too, did you do a good job washing the powder? if it is washed good it could just be the finer size.

Thanks Geo, I am probably doing a little better job washing now. I added the gold powder to the first vial and then realized that it wasn't completely dry, so I heated the vial to dry off some more moisture and I shook the vial vigorously quiet a bit and that lead to the powder being finely divided. Didn't realize that would have an affect on the color.

Do you know how many grams of gold power was in each tube? One of these days I might have some gold power and I will post it when I do . It is just a hobby so it might be some time before I get enough to do.

Latest posts

Back