Gold powder to melted button ???

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acidrain

Supporting Member
I have a question for you more experienced refiners....
So my observation is this; when I refine gold to high purity and the powder starts clumping together in large balls and is that perfect color, it looks like a LOT! Then when I melt it, it shrinks into a much much smaller ball vs gold powder that is a bit darker and forms much smaller clumps.
I recently ran two batches. First batch was textbook. Second batch, I fell asleep several times throughout the process, had it redisolve and had to re-recover it. First batch appeared to ve 10x larger than the second batch but when I melted them, it was only twice the weight. The perfect batch was "fluffier" than the second batch. Both turned out equally beautiful.
My question is, why would one look so much larger than the other when in powder form?

I understand what you're saying guys but I'm curious about the mechanics of why the more pure I get the gold powder, the more "fluffy" it seems.
It's SUCH a let down when I melted the first, which didn't look as pretty as powder and then melted the second which was BEAUTIFUL and looked like ten times as much but in reality, was only twice as much.

As a powder, it depends on how densely packed it is when it drops. The button in my avatar, was so compacted that it tried to dry as one lump. Usually the fluffy stuff is in fine grained powder and while clean it may not be quite as clean as the last bunch, even by 01. The remaining contaminants may play a factor as well.

Latest posts

Back