Gold purity 99.9 % but the color of gold is greyish when heated

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can soak the button in jewelers pickle this will clean the surface. Best to do once the button hardens and is still hit drop it in warmed pickle. sparex is a brand of pickle , some use Ph down used fir swing pools.

Once the surface is cleaned re melt it in a clean crucible with a clean flame from your torch and then see how it turns out. If the surface dark re refine it.

There is some info lacking here:
What was the source?
How do you know the purity, before and after refining?
Why did you use Urea?
Which Gold reagent (precipitant)?
How did you melt it?
With or without Borax?

And please do not use lingo like u here.
Edited to eliminate profanity and rules violations - FrugalRefiner

Last edited by a moderator:
I missed the show again. How disappointing.

I do, however, congratulate Dave and Yggdrasil for dealing with the trash appropriately.

Time for more coffee.

This may be a bit of a tangent for you.
But the South Americans very rarely actually used pure gold but all their artifacts look like pure gold.
This was because they had a very high copper content.
They then would oxidize the copper and use Alum to remove the copper oxide leaving a high gold content surface for people to see.
So Alum should remove the gray copper oxide if need be.

sorry I missed the show was stuck in the Houston airport for 36 hours waiting for AirCanada to fix my flight talk about a long flight to Ottawa lol. I'm new to this amazing site and will be searching through the vast knowledge on your amazing site figure out how to fix my big mistake I was given nitric acid for my work to use but never realized it was full strength nitric acid. Glad to be here so many very knowledgeable people here. So glad I found this site

Back