Gold recovery from smelter slags

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that Deano will know more about this topic for sure. From reading your post it seems you are having trouble capturing all of the gold in the carbon rather than recovering all of the gold from the carbon.

This thread is specifically about recovering beads from slag and your question is really not about gold in slags. I suggest you start a new thread and name it appropriately so it can be referenced in the future based on the thread title. I have no doubt you will receive valuable advice here and it would be best if future members can find it based on the title.
Yes, thank you very much for your advices...

The first thing you should ask is if these leach agents are so good why are they not being used by the gold industry.
The answer is that these leach agents will certainly leach gold but will also leach many other metals which cyanide alone will not leach.
These other metals will load onto carbon thus reducing the loading capacity for gold.
When you want to strip the gold from the carbon these metals cause a further problem in that they do not dissolve in cyanide alone and will lock most of the gold into the carbon.
Recovery is only achieved by ashing the carbon and digesting the ash in aqua regia or cyanide.
You can use ion exchange resins instead of carbon, you will get the same problems on a much more expensive adsorbent.
Deano

Back