gold refinery processes

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashapura refinery

hi, i have 500 grams grens purity is 780 can you tell how many litter nitric acid and how many litter hcl acid and soda ash and sodium metabisulphite i have to use last time i refining 7 kg gold and in filters same gold powder go throughout filter bag i attach photo can you tell me what micron filter bag i have to use 25 micron filter bag :

Attachments

• gold ref 1.jpg
    gold ref 1.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 447
www.ashapura.com/aluminarefineryproject.html
Is this your project?? and I would recommend settling tanks not filtration for your Au recovery and washing.It is two heavy and clumpy to make it through your plumbing cleanly.
Nice reaction chambers,what flange and cap's do you use?I hope you have a have a good reflux system with lot's that large.
I have just started to use a 20L chamber for large bulk alloy's and have an offer of 200l unit's but they will not fit in my present work space.(going to need a bigger boat)

This is the second time you mentioned soda ash. Are you using the soda ash to neutralize the excess nitric acid? I don't think you need to use soda ash to adjust the PH before adding the sodium metabisulfite. Search the forum for sulfamic acid and it's uses. Sulfamic acid will react to the free nitric acid creating NO2 and N2O removing the excess nitric acid so the sodium metabisulfite can drop the gold.

There is a disconnect between the pictures you have posted and the lot sizes you are asking questions about. The equipment you have shown is not what I would choose for processing what you are asking about. But refiners utilize what they have so it can work.

Give us details of your process and what your issues are. You showed you are filtering out precipitated gold yet you ask for the process and quantities to do it. I am not really clear what you want.

Thank you for the replies.

@4metals :

Hi, I have done the regular aqua regia process for 7 Kgs of Gold. Now during the filtration process some amount of gold had passed through the filter bag. So my first query is - What micron size should the filter cloth/bag be? Currently I am using a 25 micron bag.
My second query is I have done the aqua regia process before but I just want to make sure that I am not doing anything wrong, which is why I wanted to know that for 500 Gms of Gold of Purity 780, how many liters of Nitric Acid and Hydrochloric acid should I use?
I have Hoke's Book and I am reading it meanwhile I thought of posting this post in order to get a better assistance since many of you would have carried out the process practically.

@Geo :

Hi, Thanks for your advice. I tried searching for sulfamic acid in the city here but it is not easily available. Infact I have left my contact details with a few chemical dealers hoping to get some positive reply for the sulfamic acid. So now that Sulfamic Acid is not available should I go ahead with Soda ash? or is there any other alternate for this?

(I do have Hoke' Book and I am going through it and also doing my research over the web and this forum and also continuing my process side by side :) )

Thankyou

In my opinion, the best alternative is to use a slight excess of HCl but control the amount of nitric added so that you only use whatever is needed to dissolve the gold. No more, no less. That way, with no excess nitric, the gold will directly precipitate with the sodium metabisulfite without the need for sulfamic acid or soda ash or urea or anything else.

In practice, it takes about 120-130ml of HCl and 25-30ml of HNO3 to dissolve 1 tr.oz. (31.1g) of karat gold. To make sure there is excess HCl, I would start with about 140ml per tr.oz. Add the HCl to the gold and heat it. Don't boil. When hot, add about 1/4 of the calculated amount of nitric. A reaction (fizzing, brown fumes, etc.) will be seen. When the reaction dies down, add another 1/4 of the nitric. Repeat. After about 3/4 of the nitric has been added, reduce the size of the additions. When a small addition of nitric produces no reaction, add no more. It may take a little more or less nitric that what is calculated. If you do this right, there will be little or no excess nitric and, therefore, no soda ash, sulfamic acid, etc., will be needed. Try this on small amounts until you get the hang of it.

It is good to have some sulfamic acid on hand in case you are heavy-handed with the nitric. For this chemical, I would find a company that sells electroplating chemicals and supplies. Sulfamic acid is commonly used to make up nickel sulfamate electroforming solutions. In any case, I would never use soda ash.

I should say that it's a pretty good idea not to be heavy handed with the sulfamic acid--else you risk chelating your nickel.

Sulfamic does produce sulfuric acid in situ when reacting with nitric acid, so this precipitates any lead as its sulfate, and provides for cleaner gold. One of the reasons Au from SO2 versus in situ sulfites is higher in quality is that sulfur dioxide gets turned into sulfuric acid when reducing gold.

I am a novice myself. There are a couple of chemicals that react to remove free nitric acid and each has adverse effects on your solution that is undesirable. Just like goldsilverpro said, the easiest way to avoid free nitric acid is to not put too much in solution to begin with. You can remove free nitric acid with additional sodium metabisulfite in an emergency. Add a portion of sodium metabisulfite in powder form to gauge how much free nitric you are dealing with. When you add the sodium metabisulfite (SMB) powder, look for red fumes of NOx. If the fumes appear, keep adding SMB in measured amounts of dry powder until there are no more red fumes created. Then you can add the amount to drop the gold. The undesirable effect this creates is adding excess sodium which will create excess sodium chloride (salt) in solution so be sure to have an excess HCl in solution.

Latest posts

Back