Gold refining Using Oxygen and Flux

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Roller77

It seems this member thought they were being clever by making a normal post, then later editing it to demean US citizens by referring to them in derogatory terms. The joke is on them, as they and their IP address have been banned.

FrugalRefiner

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

On pp 462-463 of T.K.Rose's excellent "Metallurgy of Gold", 7th Edition, there's a short article on the "toughening" (purity raising) of gold bullion by melting and bubbling air or oxygen through the melt.
http://www.lmine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=223_307&products_id=5931

The metals slag out in the following order,as oxides, : zinc, iron, antimony, arsenic, lead, bismuth, nickel, tellurium, copper. In doesn't mention indium, but I would guess it would oxidize, too. There is some overlap - for example, a little copper will come out before all the zinc is out. They ran it for 10 hours, skimmed off the slag once an hour, and the only thing left was essentially all of the gold and silver and some of the copper. You never get rid of all the copper. Some borax or borax plus sand (probably silica sand) was added as a flux, at the start. They used a clay pipe to introduce the air or oxygen into the melt.

A place I worked, occasionally used a very thick walled stainless pipe to bubble oxygen into molten silver, in order to remove the 1.5% tin (the only contaminant) alloyed with the silver. After an hour, or so, the silver was 999.8 Fine. The SS pipe slowly eroded after several batches. That's why clay pipe is used - same that they use in the Miller chlorine method.

I sure wouldn't want to breathe this stuff. I would think you would want to provide good exhaust

I've given you most of the info in that article but, the whole book is very valuable to any miner or refiner.

Latest posts

Back