Gold smuggling bust

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure exactly why the need to smuggle it. Anyhow, I agree with marcel, they knew what they were looking for and where it is, people tends to forget your phone analizes you 😂 .

Last edited:
I'm not sure exactly why the need to smuggle it. Anyhow, I agree with marcel, they knew what they were looking for and where it is, people tends to forget your phone analizes you 😂 .
According to a newsarticle it was discovered because it was way to heavy.

Edit to add:
The casting was poor as well.

Saving a 10% import fee on $10.7million is a pretty good incentive. Did anyone else find it odd that the fine is only $2million. The seven years would be the scariest part.

But... why is that Hong Kongs problem, that Japan has a 10% tariff? I'm sure the trouble someone went through casting those things is an indication of intent to do something illegal. But it would be illegal in Japan, not Hong Kong, right?
Maybe it's a was to make sure the gold stays in China, rather than letting the Japanese get at it, and that would be perfectly reasonable. Why is Hong Kong police doing Japan polices' work?

The question is, where is that 146 kg gold from? Why did they want to ship it to Japan, and not sell it locally on the black market for lets say 9.5 mil? I thing there is more to the story that is told.
I agree with @andu on this one.

I just remembered watching a documentary, where african black gold is bought by middle east, which then is sold to hong kong.

I just remembered watching a documentary, where african black gold is bought by middle east, which then is sold to hong kong.

Saving a 10% import fee on $10.7million is a pretty good incentive. Did anyone else find it odd that the fine is only $2million. The seven years would be the scariest part.
Come on 10% would be fair. There's little information, also, doesn't seem overly bright to take it with you when you can send it over by boat, such amount should of had better transport methods.

Back