Gray sludge

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coltonca$h

New bee hear first time using the hydrogen peroxide /muriatic acid process to extract gold from fingers and boards . Anyways I have done so n after filtering it through coffee filters I have gotten the foils for the most part as well as a bunch of gray sludge what is this sludge n how do I separate it from the gold ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB
Welcome to the forum.
I'd guess that your sludge is either lead or silver chloride. Try washing it through with hot water and if it dissapears it's lead chloride.

Can i go to the next step and add nitric acid n muriatic to the gold foils as well as this sludge that I have mixed with the gold?

Coltonca$h said:
Can i go to the next step and add nitric acid n muriatic to the gold foils as well as this sludge that I have mixed with the gold?

I'd say no try the first suggestion followed by incineration and a hot hydrochloric soak.
The aim of refining is to rid the values of base metals, your still on the recovery part.

You should put everything away while you study the forum.
Putting whole boards in your mix was a mistake that made a mess.
You will see you aren't the first, or the last to do that.

Jim

I tend to agree with Jim when it looks like someone has done a little reading and jumped in blind. So you found a description to the AP method and now you have a mess. If you had studied on the process enough, you would know what to expect and what might happen with a given material. You should take Jim's advice and put everything away safely until you study more. The next mistake you make may not be as forgiving.

Latest posts

Back