Green ap has turned yellowy red

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ddwdave

Hey guys/girls...

I have 1.6litre of green liquid, it was 1:1 hcl+peroxide ratio from first experiment. (ram fingers) And thought, I may as well reuse for another test experiment.
its to higher ratio I know...now.

Anyway, I poured 300ml of the green solution into a (blue) container of cpu pins. And 1.3 litres n a (red) Container of CPUs
..it has been 24hours,
the (red) container of CPUs still have gold pins on them. Solution still green.Some pins Have Come off..

the (blue) container with only pins,is just a small batch, After 24hours,theres a lot of gold looking dust and Still gold pins.. And the green solution is now yellow/red. More red..

. Does that mean the mix is dissolving the Gold pins?
(is so, what do I add to retrieve the Gold from Red solution after filtering.) if not.. Then what's up.

My (ram) batch turned out good, apart from,Assuming the green mix has allready desolved some gold from the experiment being a equal ratio.
I plan to keep using that green mix until it's useless without more hcl, then dispose.

I have a fresh batch with a lower ratio. Still probably high 800ml hci+250ml peroxide. Just to see if I can process gold flakes daily. So far looks like I'll be waiting another 24hours before I filter. (no air stone yet, hence still high peroxide)

Haven't started the hcl+airstone+very little peroxide process yet. Doing that with a massive batch after I personally discover everyone's right and I'm wrong.
But learn different speeds of process/losses along the way)

Have you tested with stannous chloride?

If not, why??

Were the pins magnetic?
What kind of red are we talking here? Got a pic?

Why make new solution? Just reuse the old AP and rejuvenate it.
AP takes forever and a day, checking the solution daily (especially without an airstone) may be a fruitless endeavour more times than not. CPUs that i ran in AP took a week and a half, with an air pump.

AP is a patient man's game

You will find yourself that using a lot of oxidize will not speed up things. AP is a long term process and you will not shorten time adding silly amounts of peroxide. Dissolving pins in AP take weeks. You obviously dissolved some gold most of which precipitated back so you will have gold there which does not look like gold but rather dark fine powder stuck on other still undissolved pins.
If you would spend some time reading forum you would find that many people before you did the same with the same result.
That would save you time doing unnecessary experiments which only complicated your recovery and will cost you more time to sort out.

CPU-pins are mostly made from an iron-nickel alloy so obviously it's been dissolving iron while cementing copper.

I don't think you will find a lot of gold in solution, but you should test anyhow, especial since you don't really know what you are doing yet.

Göran

g_axelsson said:
CPU-pins are mostly made from an iron-nickel alloy so obviously it's been dissolving iron while cementing copper.

I don't think you will find a lot of gold in solution, but you should test anyhow, especial since you don't really know what you are doing yet.

Göran

Thanks for that. Yeah I have a bit of reading to do in the weekend,

patnor1011 said:
You will find yourself that using a lot of oxidize will not speed up things. AP is a long term process and you will not shorten time adding silly amounts of peroxide. Dissolving pins in AP take weeks. You obviously dissolved some gold most of which precipitated back so you will have gold there which does not look like gold but rather dark fine powder stuck on other still undissolved pins.
If you would spend some time reading forum you would find that many people before you did the same with the same result.
That would save you time doing unnecessary experiments which only complicated your recovery and will cost you more time to sort out.
Oh ok, different people saying different things haha. Algood, this forums on point.
I'm yet to thoroughly read after long work hours, Unntil then. The experiments are not quite Unnecessary. It's fun. Not loosing any $,and visual learning in my free time. . Yes I obviously dissolved gold. I'm sure I said that also.. No black stuff. Just gold in solutions.
The issue is the CPUs. As was the new experiment. Not a biggie
Topher_osAUrus said:
Have you tested with stannous chloride?

If not, why??

Were the pins magnetic?
What kind of red are we talking here? Got a pic?

Why make new solution? Just reuse the old AP and rejuvenate it.
AP takes forever and a day, checking the solution daily (especially without an airstone) may be a fruitless endeavour more times than not. CPUs that i ran in AP took a week and a half, with an air pump.

AP is a patient man's game
No, still learning as I go.
Looks like red food colouring. Will get pic.
Old solutions. Was high ratio, so am disposing of it.
New solutions still high. But it's an experiment..
Yep 24hours from 1 kg ram gave me nearly 2grams of gold flakes with 1:1 ratio.. So did new batch with just under 2.1 and it's definitely slower than 1:1.
Yep patience is key. CPUs is just experimental, and wondered what happened... My ram is fine in the solution.

The questions was about the pins and colour.

Stannous = refiner's eyes

It is a necessity

Air pump, not peroxide, will speed up the reaction tremendously.

Go to Lazersteve's website, he has a pdf on copper(II)chloride leach, that is a *must* read for anyone taking up refining.

Topher_osAUrus said:
Stannous = refiner's eyes

It is a necessity

Air pump, not peroxide, will speed up the reaction tremendously.

Go to Lazersteve's website, he has a pdf on copper(II)chloride leach, that is a *must* read for anyone taking up refining.

Thank you... It's Friday, so will start a big read, getting airpump today, will go read pdf today. And go from there, thank you. And thanks all.. I have a disposal depot three streets away, so that helps.
The cpu I didn't look into, just assumed..
Checked on ram today, is looking ok.

Again.. Thanks all.

No fair!! I have to wait until I get up in the morning for Friday!

Just wanted to emphasize what Topher said. Stannous chloride isn't an option. You have to have it, and use it, and use it often. Without it you will never know how much gold you are taking three streets away to dispose of!

Be safe!

UncleBenBen said:
No fair!! I have to wait until I get up in the morning for Friday!

Just wanted to emphasize what Topher said. Stannous chloride isn't an option. You have to have it, and use it, and use it often. Without it you will never know how much gold you are taking three streets away to dispose of!

Be safe!

Oh bugger. I'm all finished at work. So about to do some learning onEveryone's feedback . and the books. And filtering a ram batch now..
Colour went a bit off green.
But algood.. Also going to aquarium now

Attachments

• DSC_0112.JPG
    DSC_0112.JPG
    2 MB

Latest posts

Back