Green not yellow

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used acid peroxide to do some ram finger worked great then I tryed 7.5 pounds of cpu chips got all the gold pins off did these the same way ended up with emerald green liquid I added stump out last night can I save my gold or have I screwed it up

I've done a lot of research and I got the gold fingers down with muratic acid and peroxide then muratic acid and Clorox but I done more research on the chips I just hope I can save what I already done with this green liquid that I've already added stump out too

Hello Lumbercity12000 and welcome.
First I need to say to cover everything safely and stop everything you are doing.
IT IS DANGEROUS!!!

Just by what you have done and asked, Even I can see that you failed the number 1 rule on this forum.
READ & LEARN BEFORE YOU HURT YOURSELF OR OTHERS

"I used acid peroxide to do some ram finger worked great then I tryed 7.5 pounds of cpu chips got all the gold pins off did these the same way ended up with emerald green liquid I added stump out last night can I save my gold or have I screwed it up"

You used acid peroxide? Does this mean HCL + Peroxide? Please be specific!
Worked great so you next did CPU chips...
Then saw that the liquid was green?
Search and learn what HCL + Peroxide actually does and why it's used.
Also find out what Stump Out does and why/when it's used.

The only loss you will have is not learning how to do it. Please store everything and learn how to safely do it.

Hoke's book is a great starting point if you really wish to learn recovering and refinning PMs. Also read the safety, forum rules, and dealing with wastes / white elephant.

Read everything you can find so that you know exactly the procedure from start to finish before you hurt someone.
This may take a month or more to learn it before trying to dive into the pool without water.

Your PMs (Precious Metals) will still be there and you can continue collecting and manually seperating base "crap" while you learn.

B.S.
...Learn how to walk before you enter a marathon...

Nothing is lost if you do not throw it away.sounds like you have excess chlorine in your solution.suggest you search hcl cl in the search.you should be able to find what you need.
john

I know what I did I didn't wait for the base metals to dissolve and I'm left with a brown liquid with a grey poweder at the bottom I made a 3.6 gram from my gold fingers button I've been reseaching this for a while I just made a mistake so what should I do to recover this gold? This is what I did I had 7.5 pounds of cpu chip mostly pentium 4 but a few good ones too I got all pins off with a heat gun put them in my coffee pot added 2 parts muratic acid a one part hydrogen peroxide to dissolve the base metal didn't seem to work good so I made a rookie mistake I went ahead and filtered them and put them in a beaker added muratic acid and added little bits of Clorox until they disolved they didn't all dissolved and I had my resperater on my liquid turned green and I stoped till I can figure out what to do with this

The best thing you can do at this point is to store it safely and study, as the answer to your problem is simple, you jumped into trying to begin before you even understood the most basic principles, good thing you were not studying flying jets and climbed into the cockpit before learning the controls.
go back and read Hoke's book. Page 60 may interest you, do several Google searches and study the reactivity series of metal, also do some Google searches on chemical replacement reactions.

Spend some time studying before you jump back into that cockpit, it is hard to learn how to land a jet airplane, which you do not know how to fly, by asking questions as the plane is crashing to the ground.

Edit to add another clue Do you know how to test for gold in solution, have you done the experiments in Hoke's?

Hi again

Your "rookie mistake" is you don't have a firm grasp of how AP works as well as how HCL + Clorox works.

Put a copper bar or cut length wise copper pipe in the solution and let sit for a long time... 2 weeks at least...

While waiting, go and read through all posts relating to AP and HCL + Clorox.
If not We can't help as you will have more problems as you go.

Step 1 is to manually remove everything possible from PM content.
Step 2 is disolve away any and all base metals.
Step 3 is Recover PMs
Above and beyond all these and any other steps is to have PATIENCE...

You said you recovered from fingers. That should give you some gold as it's fresh AP and will dissolve gold until copper does it's thing. Then gold will drop out as powder. Once AP is started, add an air source, Bubbler, to AP and it will dissolve copper for a very long time...Other metals will contaminate so care must be followed or will cause problems.

HCL + Clorox will dissolve alot of metals so it's a good idea to remove base metals before using. If contaminated with base metals...

Read and find out like the rest of use have done...Please...

Do not throw anything out and you will Not lose any PMs. They will be there waiting for you to learn how to properly extract them.
Read how to treat waste solution so you know what to do with the solutions and acids you are using...

And by the by...What type of resperator are you using?
Hopefully you are doing this in a well ventalate area away from buildings and other people...

B.S.

I understand ,I was in a rush I've been researching this a lot but not enough.I'm being safe and I got a good resperater but I got a lot to learn thanks for the help

We all try to be in a rush to get the shiny...
But the number 1 rule is to be a Dr. and have patience...

Lightly cover everything, so expanding gasses can be released if building. and save all solids untill you learn why. Gold or any PM is lost only when we fail to learn where it is and how to see it, test, and throw it away.

Your road bump is a simple 1 but the hard part is learning about it... Because you have to learn and understand the process.

B.S.

Never process Kovar pins in hcl/cl. The tin in this is why you have problems and your gray sludge which is most likely holding your gold. Just read about tin in solution and it's also in Hoke's book. It will cause problems but there are steps to recover it if you read. I will be honest I made this same mistake when I first started and the reason I made this mistake was because I DIDN'T read!!

Latest posts

Back