Guys I screwed up...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far so good...I did end up splitting the batch, only reason was because I just wanted to make sure that this was going to work. I am currently working on the yellow solution and in will be evaporating everything to thereeee other one and adding in some water a few times to dissolve all the salts and proceed like normal.

This time I added in about 30ml of HCL then I added in about .5 ml of nitric at a time until all the solids are dissolved. I have just a few specks to go. I will be letting the solution evaporate a little, just to make sure all the nitric is gone. Then I'll go on precipitating the gold and giving it a few washes (hopefully I'll have enough time before it rains)

Till then I'll keep ya guys posted!

Thank you again so much to everyone that has helped me out, I appreciate it more than you know! :D

Ps...my ph strips are coming in the mail today, through Amazon, hopefully they still deliver today. Oh also Happy Easter everyone!

Attachments

• 20200412_105711.jpg
    20200412_105711.jpg
    2.2 MB
  • 20200412_110555.jpg
    20200412_110555.jpg
    2.9 MB
That's the color you want for the quantity of gold you are looking for in that quantity of liquid. The clarity although looks a bit cloudy. Do you have a decent vacuum filter setup? Mine consists of an Erlenmeyer type flask/beaker with a hose connection on the side close to the top. You hook up a handheld brake line bleeding style pump to create a vacuum inside the beaker making filtration go much quicker. I would definitely filter your liquid before dropping with smb etc. You are well on your way to getting some gold.

denim said:
That's the color you want for the quantity of gold you are looking for in that quantity of liquid. The clarity although looks a bit cloudy. Do you have a decent vacuum filter setup? Mine consists of an Erlenmeyer type flask/beaker with a hose connection on the side close to the top. You hook up a handheld brake line bleeding style pump to create a vacuum inside the beaker making filtration go much quicker. I would definitely filter your liquid before dropping with smb etc. You are well on your way to getting some gold.

You are right, it is very cloudy and unfortunately I do not :(
Right now I am filtering it using a coffee filter inside a funnel. I will, however, be getting a vacuum filter very soon.

Would this be something like what you are talking about?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200412-114655_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200412-114655_Chrome.jpg
    171.3 KB
When I go about rinsing the filter paper off, is there a quantity of water that will be too much as to where I wont be able to drop the gold?

If you have silver in the mix, you can add ice to chill it or add three times the volume of water. (Add 300 ml of water for every 100ml of solution) This will drop any silver as a chloride. Add sulfamic acid to stop the nitric, this should also drop any lead as it will convert to sulfuric acid. Then filter.

Also if you have a piece on hand, use a wad of fiberglass insulation to plug the hole in a regular funnel. Once you get the hang of how tight to pack it, it works great. It is slower than vacuum filtering most of the time, but does a good job. It also takes less water to rinse out. If needed run the solution through the same plug several times, before rinsing the plug, this also saves on adding additional water. You want it absolutely clear of any cloudiness or sediment.

Shark said:
If you have silver in the mix, you can add ice to chill it or add three times the volume of water. (Add 300 ml of water for every 100ml of solution) This will drop any silver as a chloride. Add sulfamic acid to stop the nitric, this should also drop any lead as it will convert to sulfuric acid. Then filter.

Also if you have a piece on hand, use a wad of fiberglass insulation to plug the hole in a regular funnel. Once you get the hang of how tight to pack it, it works great. It is slower than vacuum filtering most of the time, but does a good job. It also takes less water to rinse out. If needed run the solution through the same plug several times, before rinsing the plug, this also saves on adding additional water. You want it absolutely clear of any cloudiness or sediment.

Ohh not a bad idea on that fiberglass. I have some ceramic fiber insulation that I use for my crucibles, would that work?

This is the setup I use. Shown here are the setup, a couple picts of pumps (one in a box the other out of the box), funnel with a charmin plug (four squares of toilet paper wadded up and stuffed very tightly into funnel neck). This has worked very well for me at the small scale refining I do. I ordered all these things separately including the rubber stopper with a hole for the funnel.

And yes, this is just to display this setup. I do all my filtering outside.

pump setup.jpg

pump box.jpg

Pump bag label.jpg

charmin plug installed.jpg

pump.jpg

denim said:
This is the setup I use. Shown here are the setup, a couple picts of pumps (one in a box the other out of the box), funnel with a charmin plug (four squares of toilet paper wadded up and stuffed very tightly into funnel neck). This has worked very well for me at the small scale refining I do. I ordered all these things separately including the rubber stopper with a hole for the funnel.

And yes, this is just to display this setup. I do all my filtering outside.

pump setup.jpg

pump box.jpg

Pump bag label.jpg

charmin plug installed.jpg

pump.jpg

You're awesome. Thank you very much!

GUYS LOOK WHAT HAPPENED!! THERES EVEN THE LITTLE PIPE THING TOO!! :D :D

There should only be able 3 more grams missing in the other solution, which may be quite possible

Attachments

• 20200412_132747.jpg
    20200412_132747.jpg
    3.5 MB
  • 20200412_132743.jpg
    20200412_132743.jpg
    4 MB
  • 20200412_132738.jpg
    20200412_132738.jpg
    2.7 MB
Also, when I added SMB to the AR, it didnt fizz at all, I got really scared for a second, but after about 5 minutes everything dropped quite quickly. I was surprised

Goldman94.,
Ahh I was expecting to discuss salts and now all you have is that gold :eek: :G
Good job my frien :D d, although you may be moving a little fast, jumping in before you gain a full understanding can lead to problems :twisted: , I know you are anxious to see the gold :oops: , slowing down and gaining a little patience will help you to become a better refine :lol: r, be sure to properly treat your waste. :)

I thought I would [play with the emoji faces, boy can't I make a messy post with them

butcher said:
Goldman94.,
Ahh I was expecting to discuss salts and now all you have is that gold :eek: :G
Good job my frien :D d, although you may be moving a little fast, jumping in before you gain a full understanding can lead to problems :twisted: , I know you are anxious to see the gold :oops: , slowing down and gaining a little patience will help you to become a better refine :lol: r, be sure to properly treat your waste. :)

I thought I would [play with the emoji faces, boy can't I make a messy post with them

Thank you so much Butcher for all the help and knowledge you've brought to this thread and forum.

I've been researching the processes for quite some time now and finally want to put to the test of what I've learned. Like I said earlier, my very first batch came out wonderfully with 0 problems whatsoever. It was this 2nd batch and the addition of baking soda that caused all this. I dont think I'll ever keep baking soda in my house ever again, that's the devil lol.

I am going to keep practicing on what is the right about of nitric to use in AR and I will add it, probably .5-1 ml at a time. I will also continue reading and researching everything I can out there to make my life, and your guys' life as easy as possible.

Again thank you so much for everyones help, I couldnt have done it without you guys.

Also, I still have that 2nd batch brewing to try and rid the salts from it too. I will proceed with that in the same manner I did with this batch. Although it will take some time since theres probably close to 800ml to go thru.

Goldman94,
I have to disagree with you somewhat, I may have contributed a tiny bit to the discussion as long as I have not made it more confusing with a bunch of emoji faces :twisted: and funny looking equations

Au + 4HCl + 3HNO3 + Cu + Ag + NaHCO3 = :( mess + :x Goldman94 + :oops: + No :G + :| salts

It is you that has helped improve the knowledge base of the forum.
Many members can learn something from this thread with your contributions and follow up of working through this problem.

butcher said:
Goldman94,
I have to disagree with you somewhat, I may have contributed a tiny bit to the discussion as long as I have not made it more confusing with a bunch of emoji faces :twisted: and funny looking equations

Au + 4HCl + 3HNO3 + Cu + Ag + NaHCO3 = :( mess + :x Goldman94 + :oops: + No :G + :| salts

It is you that has helped improve the knowledge base of the forum.
Many members can learn something from this thread with your contributions and follow up of working through this problem.

Thank you butcher, that equation is 100% correct :lol:

Ps...I also got my ph strips today :D

And this solution is about a 0 on the ph scale lol

Attachments

• 20200412_145636.jpg
    20200412_145636.jpg
    3.1 MB
  • 20200412_145642.jpg
    20200412_145642.jpg
    3 MB
You got some of your "stupid" gold. :lol: :lol:

Bet you don't think it is so stupid now!

Latest posts

Back