H20 in refining, Multi-stage RO Purified or Distilled?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autumnwillow

I was wondering its effects when used in refining? AR, Nitric, Washings, etc.

Since distilled water costs three times more compared to purified water. Just maybe I could switch to purified water?

I'm thinking of setting up a multi stage water purification system(Reverse Osmosis) to save instead of buying distilled water.

As a hobby/small refiner, the biggest problem I've noted with using tap water is the chlorine content. Namely, with tap water in a silver nitrate solution, I may get a very small amount of silver chloride precipitate. That generally doesn't bother me too much, though. When it happens during inquartation, for example, I know I'm filtering before I drop my gold, so it'll just end up in the filter with the lead sulfate and not in my final product. It may end up in my cemented silver, but I'm not considering that silver a 'final product' yet either, since I know I want to set up a silver cell to refine it further.

Now that I think about it, if I wanted to, I could just prepare a container of tap water and let it sit, perhaps out in the sun (covered), and let the chlorine decompose/dissipate before I use it. Just like aquarium owners do.

Someone who's on well water may have other issues, if the natural mineral content is high.

Now that I think about it, if I wanted to, I could just prepare a container of tap water and let it sit, perhaps out in the sun (covered), and let the chlorine decompose/dissipate before I use it. Just like aquarium owners do.

That works pretty good. I have been doing it since I started. I fill several jugs and sit them in the sun with loose fitting lids. The smell of chlorine in our city water is really bad.

Someone who's on well water may have other issues, if the natural mineral content is high.

Our well is mineral water. Very high in Iron and sulfur. If you even wash cloths in it, they smell like burnt match's, not to mention they change color's to a nice muddy brown. The filter system is good for a week to ten days then needs changing, so we only use it out side.

Using a dehumidifier alone will leave some minerals in the water.

So I guess going for a multi-stage water purification should work well since this removes chlorine and most minerals.

We use RO that goes into a mixed bed ion exchange system. If it's super important, I will distill that water to rid it free of CO2.

Latest posts

Back