Has anyone tested PGM (platinum group metals) capture using carbon cloth?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeRKaN PGM HuNTeR

Hello All,

In the past, a user named "GUEST" has presented a 17-point theory in this way, and now I feel the need to post a new thread referring to that text, in order to clear up some of the questions I have. For example, the text suggests buying some carbon fabric and placing a one square foot piece of it in a non-fast flowing stream for a week. During this time, the fabric is supposed to adsorb PGMs in the water. the other point is "filtration and precipitation". After the solution has cooled, the coarse particles are filtered out using a coffee filter. Then a substance called T-6 is added to the solution and titrated with acid, during which precipitates containing PGMs are formed. What is "T6" here? Has anyone tested this theory? It seems that ideas and suggestions from senior members of this forum on this subject will be very important for me, the main reason why this subject interests me? There is a geothermally rich area in my city, if this theory is correct, I am thinking of installing carbon fabric traps at critical important points in the geothermal area.

Regards.

1) Go to: http://www.goldmineworld.net/mainmenu.html and order5 square feet of his carbon fabric for $35.; and his 2oz sample bottle of T-6 for $7.50. His web site say the shipping is free.

2) Cut off about 1 square foot of the fabric and tie it to some kind of an anchor with strong wire or string so that you can leave it in a creek for a week without losing it. If the water is very swift try to find a place where the fabric won't bounce against rocks too much. Otherwise you might just find shreds left on your string when you go to retrieve it. The fabric is a very fragile carbon fiber felt. Spring, summer and fall are the best times for this but winter will work if you can manage not to lose it. The best creeks are the ones that are closest to springs and lode bearing mountains, but even a major river should work. There are gold and/or PGM's in all of them.

3) Now boil this piece of fabric in about a gallon of sodium hydroxide and water at PH 11 to 12 for an hour. The liquid should turn a very dark brown from the humic acid being leached. For this initial experiment you can wring the solution out ot the fabric after it cools, wearing rubber gloves and eye protection, of course. This will pretty well trash that piece of fabric in the name of science, but if you decide to go large scale later there are ways to make the fabric last much longer.
4) Filter any sand or debris out with a coffee filter.

5) Stir in 1/2 oz of the T-6 and let it soak for a few minutes.

6) Titrate down with HCl until a lot of precipitate forms. This should be somewhere between about PH 6 and PH 8. Filter that precipitate out and save it.

7) Add another 1/2 oz of T-6 to the liquid and titrate down with HCl again to about PH 1. Let it soak here for a few minutes. Some precipitate may be trying to fall out here too. This is likely to be humic acid that has already been stripped of it's PGM's by the T-6 so just ignore it.

8) Titrate back up to wherever you get the most precipitate again. It will probably be somewhere between PH 7 and PH 9. Filter out the precipitate and add it to what you saved in step 6.

9) Rinse the combined precipitate several times with distilled water in a double coffee filter.

10) Dry the paper coffee filter with the precipitate on it in an old pan at about 225 f.

11) Scrape off as much of the dried precipitate as practical and add it to a suitable clay crucible for smelting at 2000f. (Alternatively, just add the whole paper filter with the material.)

12) GoldmineWorld's suggested house flux is: 40 parts borax, 5 parts soda ash, 1 part flour, 1 part silica sand, and a silver blank as a collector. The suggested hold time at 2000f is 3 hours, but I get very good results at just 1 hour.

13) Pour the melt into a cone shaped mold so that the metals settle in the point at the bottom.

14) After it has cooled break the slag away and weigh the bead. I always lose a lot of silver, probably because my furnace gets too hot, so don't assume that the values you have collected can by determined by weighing the raw bead alone.

15) Part the bead with hot 50% nitric acid to dissolve the silver plus any lead, copper or palladium you might have collected. Drop the Ag and Pd as per the directions on Steve's web site.

16) Treat the solids left over with cold aqua regia to dissolve any gold collected.

17) Now dry and weigh the solids that are left. This is your PGM content, plus, probably, some minor contaminants. Start parting them if you know how. I have seen enough values to definitely look profitable IF the problems I am having now of assaying and selling them can be surmounted. Especially if you can sell the rhodium.

Hello All,

In the past, a user named "GUEST" has presented a 17-point theory in this way, and now I feel the need to post a new thread referring to that text, in order to clear up some of the questions I have. For example, the text suggests buying some carbon fabric and placing a one square foot piece of it in a non-fast flowing stream for a week. During this time, the fabric is supposed to adsorb PGMs in the water. the other point is "filtration and precipitation". After the solution has cooled, the coarse particles are filtered out using a coffee filter. Then a substance called T-6 is added to the solution and titrated with acid, during which precipitates containing PGMs are formed. What is "T6" here? Has anyone tested this theory? It seems that ideas and suggestions from senior members of this forum on this subject will be very important for me, the main reason why this subject interests me? There is a geothermally rich area in my city, if this theory is correct, I am thinking of installing carbon fabric traps at critical important points in the geothermal area.

Regards.
Can you share the link to this tutorial?

Hello All,

Regards.
Since the user is named Anonymous, he/she has been banned at a time in the past.
Even if we do not know why, it still poses a trust issue.
The notion on a substance lit T6 also hints at one of the magic potions from a few companies we don't trust much.
So I agree with Martijn, we would like a link to this procedure, please.

Since the user is named Anonymous, he/she has been banned at a time in the past.
Even if we do not know why, it still poses a trust issue.
The notion on a substance lit T6 also hints at one of the magic potions from a few companies we don't trust much.
So I agree with Martijn, we would like a link to this procedure, please.
I'm very sorry, now I completely understand what you meant by "education link". Unfortunately, there's no such link available. I had read through the forum here, and opened a new topic hoping someone knowledgeable might provide some insights. Therefore, there's no longer a need to inquire about T6. I'll attempt to proceed with "Ramat forge" and "cupel" for separation, assuming the carbon cloth technique proves beneficial. 😄 If anyone has insights on this method, I would greatly value your expertise to satisfy my curiosity.

The T6's ability to bind to PGM particles in water, by separating them from hydrogen atoms and transforming them into heavier precipitates, facilitates the collection of these particles. Technically, this process enables the effective separation and subsequent precipitation of PGMs from water. This modeling provides a theoretical explanation of how T6 can target PGM particles that interact with hydrogen in water and are therefore difficult to precipitate using traditional methods. However, the practical effectiveness of this model and the true chemical structure of T6 must be verified through detailed laboratory tests and analyses. Hence, T6 still retains its mystery for me :)

Irons

There's a compelling reason why PGM particles remain suspended in water.

The Platinum Group Metals (PGMs) exhibit a high affinity for hydrogen, leading to their bonding with hydrogen atoms in water. This interaction causes water molecules to envelop the PGM particles, forming a superparticle with a seemingly low specific gravity that remains in suspension.

This explains why panning for fine PGMs is futile unless the PGMs are large enough to overcome the bonding phenomenon, and it also sheds light on why PGMs are often missed.

This insight from a senior member has given me a good idea, but I also feel like I'm descending into an endless pit.

The T6's ability to bind to PGM particles in water, by separating them from hydrogen atoms and transforming them into heavier precipitates, facilitates the collection of these particles. Technically, this process enables the effective separation and subsequent precipitation of PGMs from water. This modeling provides a theoretical explanation of how T6 can target PGM particles that interact with hydrogen in water and are therefore difficult to precipitate using traditional methods. However, the practical effectiveness of this model and the true chemical structure of T6 must be verified through detailed laboratory tests and analyses. Hence, T6 still retains its mystery for me :)
After the phrase about separating PGM “particles” from hydrogen “atoms,” I decided to throw away my two higher education diplomas...
Please tell us where PGM comes from in water and in what chemical or physical form?

After the phrase about separating PGM “particles” from hydrogen “atoms,” I decided to throw away my two higher education diplomas...
Please tell us where PGM comes from in water and in what chemical or physical form?
It was some claims from back in 2007.
Not originally from Serkan.

No, my friend, forgive me "there is an idiom in my country in Turkei, they say camel's ear", I should just say my tongue slipped or wrong translation or my terrible English.

The main topic was this, I came across an old message about catching nano-sized pgms in a geothermal area with carbon cloth, that topic aroused my curiosity, for example, zero microns are needed to grind ores, in physics, the ratio less than zero microns is nanometers, I wonder if I thought that "guest user" wanted to say hunting with carbon cloth in reference to this, I guess I posted a topic in this forum to see if there is really such a thing. another mysterious issue is T6 liquid.

It was some claims from back in 2007.
Not originally from Serkan.
Serkan didn't indicate that this was a quote. Perhaps it would be useful for all of us to rethink the information published by other participants before citing it, so as not to support but correct the middle-aged alchemical ideas in chemistry.

Serkan didn't indicate that this was a quote. Perhaps it would be useful for all of us to rethink the information published by other participants before citing it, so as not to support but correct the middle-aged alchemical ideas in chemistry.
Yes I see that now.
He should have put it in a quote, he must have slipped.

When I opened the thread, I posted a 17-point process. In the old message, I mentioned a concept that supported a theory to satisfy my curiosity in reference to this topic. I wanted to brainstorm whether this is real or not. In nature, in geology, there are some concepts. For example, in water, some elements stick together over time; of course, this can take time, even years. For example, in this 17-item process, it was mentioned about the process of collecting and decomposing these carbon glands after a week. is this true or not? Or has anyone tested it? I was waiting for information from this forum.

I would be happy to help, but, unfortunately, the transfer of microparticles in solutions (even geothermal) does not work this way. There are no platinum metals in geothermal waters for many reasons. But gold in the form of soluble complex compounds with sulfur is often found in deep geothermal waters :)

I had thought that micron and nano-sized elements could theoretically stick to carbon fabric, so I posted a thread to see if the 'guest user's' 17-point theory could be true, or if it was worth testing. I thought maybe the technology would work. Thank you for your interest, I will continue on this path with determination and ambition.

I had thought that micron and nano-sized elements could theoretically stick to carbon fabric, so I posted a thread to see if the 'guest user's' 17-point theory could be true, or if it was worth testing. I thought maybe the technology would work. Thank you for your interest, I will continue on this path with determination and ambition.
If you are interested in this, I recommend reading the theory of flotation. There's a lot of good information there about what will stick to metal particles and what won't, and why :)

Correction:
I found one(!) article (1984) in which the authors claim the detection of platinum in deep geothermal waters at a level of 50 parts per billion (0,000050 ‰) or 50 mg per ton of water.

There is about the same amount of gold (not platinum) in a ton of sea water :)

They are talking about deep artesian waters, which are not at all the same as surface geothermal water.
One article without cross-scientific confirmation, this is rather dubious data, but it still exists.

Therefore, this information is up to you to decide whether to trust it or not.

Personally, I'm leaning toward the "no" option :)

Last edited:
Hello All,

The main reason I am so focused on the subject of carbon fabric is due to Turkey's geological position, situated between the Black Sea and the Aegean Sea, linked by the Sea of Marmara. In the past, the Marmara was a lake, but geological changes led to its connection with the Aegean and Black Seas, and it now hosts eight different varieties of sea currents. In this region, there are clastic rocks that have undergone a "clastic type metamorphosis." We analyzed these clastic rocks and discovered they contain gold and palladium. Even the geologists at the university were surprised to note that such clastic rocks are not recorded in the literature and that this was their first encounter with them. In the Marmara region, in Bursa, I met a miner indirectly; he presented me with an analysis report. According to the ICP test results on the residues of the mining slag, the presence of six types of PGM (Platinum Group Metals) metals, varying between 5% to 15%, was clearly visible in the report. According to the General Directorate of Mineral Research and Exploration (MTA) in our country, there is no information about PGM group metals in the literature. The "carbon cloth" topic in this forum kindled my theories and suspicions like a puzzle game. This is the summary of the topic for me. Respect to everyone, good work.

Hello All,

The main reason I am so focused on the subject of carbon fabric is due to Turkey's geological position, situated between the Black Sea and the Aegean Sea, linked by the Sea of Marmara. In the past, the Marmara was a lake, but geological changes led to its connection with the Aegean and Black Seas, and it now hosts eight different varieties of sea currents. In this region, there are clastic rocks that have undergone a "clastic type metamorphosis." We analyzed these clastic rocks and discovered they contain gold and palladium. Even the geologists at the university were surprised to note that such clastic rocks are not recorded in the literature and that this was their first encounter with them. In the Marmara region, in Bursa, I met a miner indirectly; he presented me with an analysis report. According to the ICP test results on the residues of the mining slag, the presence of six types of PGM (Platinum Group Metals) metals, varying between 5% to 15%, was clearly visible in the report. According to the General Directorate of Mineral Research and Exploration (MTA) in our country, there is no information about PGM group metals in the literature. The "carbon cloth" topic in this forum kindled my theories and suspicions like a puzzle game. This is the summary of the topic for me. Respect to everyone, good work.
5 to 15% seem excessive to me.
We are talking of 50 to 150 kg per tonne.
This test seem suspicious.

Edit corrected numbers

Last edited:
Back