Have you heard of these papers?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReapHer_6

Hi All.

I found these (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390303426557).
There is 1000 per pack for 44 bucks, shipped. I have heard of the neame and looked up a cross reference to Whatman. They are not exactily what is supposed to be used, but would thay work?

Thanks

John S.

PS there are many of them if people want them.
Edited to add another paper.

I have heard some talk of the sharkskin filters.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200448228856
These are 8x10 (100qty) for $50.00 +- shipped. Are these a good purchase for the quality and price??

Again John, helping you out, also helped me!

I'm getting ready to order more filter paper myself, & I've been doing some searches here & there & by following your posts I've been able to get some answers to my questions, too! I saw the shark skin & almost bought them, thinking they were better; I had read Harold's post some time ago, but didn't remember, so I assumed the shark skin were better. I'll stick to coffee filters for coarse filtering & #1 for finer stuff.

Take care!

Phil

Phil. I think I did the exact same thing. I read the post some time ago. But could not remember if they were better or not.

I almost bought them but then I decided to ask the forum, I am glad I did.

John S.

Shark skin is a tough filter medium, but does not remove fine particles. As I stated in the post in regards to polishing wastes and low grade materials (floor sweeps, for example) from jewelry manufacturers, it worked wonders, but allowed fine particles through. I was fine with that in that my real purpose was to evacuate the fluids from the solids, without losing the filter.

A #2 Whatman is somewhat better than a #1 Whatman----although I'm not suggesting that a #1 isn't acceptable. In the end, I used only three grades of filters. #2 Whatman, #5 Whatman (strictly for filtering re-refined gold, where the solution was already very free of solids) and Shark Skin.

Harold

Latest posts

Back