HBF4 & Ti4+ ions for selective desoldering of PCBA

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voeckel

Hi forum,

I have a quick question regarding the above concept. Maybe someone of the commercially experienced can help?

I have access to HBF4 and think of designing a 3-stage closed circle desoldering unit. After reading all about the topic for selectively removing solder using HBF4, I wondered about two things:

1. How do I create an anaerobic environment for the leaching and electrowinning stage? Is this just referring to doing it in a vacuum or is there something else to consider?

2. I searched around but I am puzzled about where to get Ti4+ ion for the process. Is there an easy way to obtain that from scrap (a broken Ti bicycle frame, etc) or does anyone know a supplier (ideally in Europe)?

For those who don't know the concept:
HBF4 is a commercial acid that selectively attacks solder. It is therefore ideal to submerge boards in it on a larger scale for depopulating. The advantage of this process is, that all components remain 100% functional (tested and confirmed by manufacturers) and could be sold for reuse. In a second stage, the pregnant solution will be subject to electrowinning of the solder with Ti4+ ions as 'catalyst' under 'anaerobic conditions due to a problem with Tin recovery in other environments.
The last stage is here rejuvenation of HBF4 by providing O2 via bubbling, before the acid goes back to the leaching tank.

Advantages:
1. The acid can be indefinitely reused in a closed setup which makes it interesting due to lower future variable costs, although getting it in the beginning is more cost intense.
2. The process is a completely environmentally friendly approach without loss of material and polution due to its design and functionality.

Aim:
I brainstorm with a technical engineer here, how to set up such a desoldering unit and where to get the needed supply. HBF4 is no problem, but the Ti4+ ions and fully understanding the concept of an 'anaerobic environment' to avoid problems with the EW of Tin out of the solution are.

Does anyone have experience with this process or an idea on the Ti4+?

Many thanks in advance for your input!

Peter

Sn+4 (Ti+4?) is received by adding H2O2 or former HNO3 treatment
Lino1406, author: 29 recovery procedures

Lino1406 said:
Sn+4 (Ti+4?) is received by adding H2O2 or former HNO3 treatment
Lino1406, author: 29 recovery procedures

Sn = Tin
Ti = Titanium (Ti4+ = Ti(IV))

Titanium ions are used as oxidizing agent in the process to help recovering tin for tin recovery is problematic here.
H2O2 as oxidizing agent would work but it encourages copper to dissolve as well, which is to be avoided. The aim is selective removal of solder, avoiding any other metals to dissolve into solution.

HBF4 / 0.3M Ti(IV) at 60 deg C using oxygen sparge looks to me like being the right solution. Copper dissolution is negligible in this solution and the removal of solder happens in a temperature range of 20-30 deg C (room temp.).

But what means 'anaerobic conditions' in chemistry and what could be used to obtain Ti(IV) ions? I understand anaerobic as the absence of oxygen.

Thanks.

Just stumbled on this thread, and I would love to use this for PCB depopulation, however after looking around for sellers and spotting the $1,400 per 4 Liter pricetag.... ugh, me thinks I'll stick with mechanical separation. Too bad it's not a bit cheaper or easier to make as this would be awesome for that, but there is no way I'm going to mess with Hydrofluoric acid, that stuff is MEGA-SCARY!

Latest posts

Back