HCL 36%

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pimpneightez

I had a bunch of cat5 terminal ends. The phone line type connections and also the long gold plated wires in the female connection that accepts the cat5 connection. I used a pair of dike's to cut the them out of the plastic molds they were in. The were both magnetic so I figured HCL would dissolve most of it leaving the foils. After about a week and a half it didnt seem to be doing anything. After 2 1/2 weeks it finally digested the base metal leaving intact floating foils. The solution turned a green color. My question is should I separate all the magnetic pins from the non magnetic and treat them separately. Can I use AP for both kinds of pins in the same batch? will any gold go into solution in the HCL if I leave it in solution?

AP will process both types but the steel will eventually start to hinder the process if you continue to re-use the solution.add an oxygen supply to speed up the process.when you add peroxide to the solution a tiny amount, just a trace actually, of gold will dissolve but this will plate back out as soon as bare base metal is present.

Hi pimp::

The male cat5 connectors I take apart , But the female ends I leave as they are and put in AP and they do just fine... :p

I am collecting the male contacts till have 1lb and then I will process them to get a yeld... :mrgreen:

Collecting a pound of those tiny buggers will take me years!!! They are just so time consuming and annoying that I can only do like 5 a week. At that rate It might kill me before Im ready to process them. Is there a better way other than using dikes? Dropping them AP would be ideal. Maybe just breaking them up just enough so the AP gets in there. :lol:

Latest posts

Back