HCl before incineration

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm willing to start processing the ic chips by tomorrow, its about 10 kg, really confused, leach them in HCl first or just start incineration

Incineration then grinding then incinerate the powder again then use dilute nitric acid after that use AR, this is my process.
Ideally you should pyrolize first, as this reduces the released fumes and smoke.
At least you should make sure the incinerated powders has no more carbon left.
Then it should be washed and concentrated by gravity before leaching.
This will reduce the risks of losses during and after leaching.

Ideally you should pyrolize first, as this reduces the released fumes and smoke.
At least you should make sure the incinerated powders has no more carbon left.
Then it should be washed and concentrated by gravity before leaching.
This will reduce the risks of losses during and after leaching.
So its not important to get rid of tin first before start incineration

So its not important to fit rid of tin first before start incineration
Of course, but I was more focused on getting rid of the Carbon.
What ever Carbon is left will/may lock up Gold when dissolved.

Have you read all the threads from Patnor, Tzoaks, Kurtak and more on this subject?

Of course, but I was more focused on getting rid of the Carbon.
What ever Carbon is left will/may lock up Gold when dissolved.

Have you read all the threads from Patnor, Tzoaks, Kurtak and more on this subject?
I read an article by Kurtak, but he didn't mention tin, I read from internet that tin exist inside some chips, so why it never make metastannic when removing the base metals using nitric acid?

I read an article by Kurtak, but he didn't mention tin, I read from internet that tin exist inside some chips, so why it never make metastannic when removing the base metals using nitric acid?
Most that process chips will not use Acids until the absolute last steps, it then is just a small amounts of bond wires left.
These do not have Tin on them so it is not an issue.
I recommend reading the threads from all of these.

Most that process chips will not use Acids until the absolute last steps, it then is just a small amounts of bond wires left.
These do not have Tin on them so it is not an issue.
I recommend reading the threads from all of these.
I'm reading, I read your post in one article talking about metastannic by nitric when added to BGA chips, but you didn't mention the proper process to avoid that, I also have BGA chips and willing to incinerate them like the ic chips process.

I'm reading, I read your post in one article talking about metastannic by nitric when added to BGA chips, but you didn't mention the proper process to avoid that, I also have BGA chips and willing to incinerate them like the ic chips process.
Not my posts, the threads from Kurtak, Patnor, Tzoaks and others dealing with exactly what you plan to do.
It will keep you occupied for a week or more.

So its not important to get rid of tin first before start incineration
I think there are 2 separate yet important steps being discussed here. The Hydrochloric Acid will help minimize the tin you will have to deal with if it remains to dissolve in aqua regia.

Then pyrolysis to burn off the volatiles and more efficiently treat the smoke, and finally the remaining char is burned, relatively smokeless, to complete the incineration.

It is AWAYS in your best interest to remove tin solder by dissolving it away with a HCl leach BEFORE doing ANY other part of the recovery of PMs (Precious Metals) from electronic scrap

Tin has a "very well known" tendency of following along with the PMs & thereby contaminating the PMs you are after - so the more tin you can remove BEFORE doing anything else in the process the better served you are as you move forward with other parts of the process

One of the first things I learned back when I first joined this forum was that tin was considered a refiners NIGHTMARE - so the more tin you can get rid of BEFORE any other processing the better served you are

Can you always get rid of all the tin (especially when dealing with electronic scrap) - no - but the more you can get rid of at the very beginning the better served you will be in later/following processes

Kurt

Latest posts

Back