Hcl/bleach problem

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axlrod2

Working with hcl/bleach solution. Dissolved the gold now trying to bring the gd back out. Added water with smb dissolved in it but still no gold? Do I need more water to get the solution to ph 7?

Did you let the solution sit overnight or, better yet, heat it for awhile to drive off the extra chlorine?

If not, your gold will probably drop after one of those has transpired.

If you still have excess chlorine the solution will dissolve the gold as soon as it is precipitated. If you keep adding more SMB to try to force it you'll have another mess to deal with.

Keep reading!

Gold4mike probably hit it on the head. Excess chlorine. And no, you don't want to change the ph. you need to drop from an acidic solution. Simply warm the solution, don't boil. Let it cool, add an ice cube and maybe a little more SMB. Like Mike said.....keep reading!

I heated the breaker for about 45minutes at around 150 degrees F. Then I added smb and nothing. Added some water and nothing. Any ideas guys? I was thinking to test the ph this evening to make sure the solution is still on the acid side. Also will test to make sure I actually have gold in the solution.

Can the smb go bad? I have had this bag for about a year sealed up till I use it. Have to break up the chunks.

you didnt mention testing with stannous. there are many members who swear they had gold in solution and couldnt get it to drop.if the PH is high enough to be basic, it wouldnt hold gold any way.test with stannous. if the test is positive, check your SMB to be sure its SMB. if you have gold in solution (auric chloride) and the SMB is good, and you have eliminated the free chlorine, the gold should drop.

Yea geo I'm going to test with stannous. I know the smb is smb cause it worked with the hcl and sodium nit.

SMB can go bad. I had some that appeared OK as far as color goes but had clumped severely. I broke up the clumps and used it in an attempt to precipitate some gold. It made almost no change to the color of the solution and didn't give the normal small bubbles of gas evolving.

I opened the new bag of SMB I had and put in roughly a teaspoon of it. The reaction was immediate and more what I was used to. Precipitation proceeded normally.

Latest posts

Back