HCL/Chlorox

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bswartzwelder

I don't think I have ever seen this addressed on the forum, so here goes. I know that according to the forum, stannus chloride test solution is "deathable" meaning it will go bad rather quickly. I also know that HCl and HNO3 when mixed starts to deteriorate right away and cannot be stored. If I mix up a batch of HCl and Chlorox, will that also go bad, or can it be stored?

I'm not sure on the answer to your question but I have seen this asked before and the general consensus is "Why mix it?" ? What does it really help by mixing it? Usually you are using such a small amount of Chlorox. I know the Chlorine gases will dissipate when in the sun or waiting overnight (which is why you want to wait before dropping your SMB in).

As a general rule do not premix any chemical reagents. The reasons are numerous why you shouldn't ranging from their reactivity deteriorates with storage, damage to certain storage containers, to forming deadly byproducts (eg: gases) if stored under the improper conditions. Reagents are best stored separately and mixed on an as needed basis. Furthermore, I advise against adding the entirety of the required calculated amount of an oxidizer at the time of use. Oxidizers should only be added in small increments through the course of the reaction. This allows for controlled additions of the oxidizer minimizes the risk of adding excessive amounts of the oxidizer, which leads to problems later in the refining process.

The only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head to premixing reagents is test solutions and standards. You can premix stannous chloride as long the test solution is kept in an airtight bottle that does not deteriorate over time when exposed to HCl (eg: glass bottle with glass/Teflon stopper). DMG for testing palladium would be a second example. One other example that comes to mind is the premixing of concentrated potassium or ammonium chloride salt solutions for precipitation of platinum group metals. Single salt saturated solutions in general should be safe to premix and store, as long as the storage container is rated to withstand the salt solution for long durations. Failure to seal salt solutions when stored can result in the salt growing out of the container as the water in the solution evaporates and can lead to contamination of the precipitant (eg: bugs and dust).

Steve

Thank you for your responses. I have some small pieces of quartz with what appears to be veins of gold running through them. What I was thinking of doing was mix some HCl/Chlorox in a beaker and put a couple of the stones in it. After it stops reacting, I was going to take out the stones and put in some fresh ones, continuing until I had done all the stones (several pounds). I know it wouldn't get the gold trapped deep inside of the stones, so at some time I would have to crush them. Looks like I should crush them all first and then treat them to an acid/Chlorox bath. I just thought I might get some interesting looking stones with holes in them where the gold had dissolved out.

I would crush the quartz to powder, seperate as much gold as I could using gravity panning or other means, then run the powder quartz through a leach (with good stirring or mixing).

Latest posts

Back