HCL/Chlorox

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AUJack

I'm sure to be read the riot act, considering the crowd of professionals who are annoyed by people such as myself. I've been reading and learning. I've made some successful results. Yesterday I dissolved some foils in HCL/Chlorox and followed up with an SMB drop. I will say I am pleased with my studies, and applying them. So far so good. Ok, Today I wanted to take the gold plating off some dinner ware I have. Being that HCL and Chlorox are easy for me to obtain vs other materials I decided to use this method. After a couple hours, slowly adding a splash of chlorox the reaction gave up. Now...I'm not looking for a detailed explanation by any individual. I've been reading this site and Hoke. I'm not done reading. All I would like for as advice is suggested reading. Please post a link and I will devour what you share. Thank you.

Attachments

• photo (14).JPG
    photo (14).JPG
    404.6 KB
For gold plating look into a sulfuric cell. For me it is only worth it if you have a fairly large amount of material to work with. A small cell could be used if you cut the big pieces into small pieces.

Thanks for the reply Shark. I've read about cells. For now I'm just getting started. I can handle building projects and tools, but I realize I need to learn refining one step at a time. For now I am still learning the basics.

the sulfuric stripping cell would be something to look into, you can use a old computer power supply to make the cell power supply
all instructions are here on the forum.

don't underestimate yourself, everything is easy once you know how. and knowing how is very easy.

There is one thing, but it will take a lot of time, and quite a bit of AP. Cut the plated materials and leave them in AP. Allow the AP to fully digest everything. I haven't tried anything as large as what you have, but I have done it with plated rings. I have come to a point where anything in AP just sits there with the air pump working for as long as a month or more at a time. I am only a hobby type refiner and just learning myself. I don't have to rush anything and quite enjoy some of the longer processes as it gives me time to see the effects. It helps with the visual learning in the long run. Check LazerSteves web sight as well a Samuel-A's they have some great info and video's to help explain various processes. There is so much info on this sight, it will take a very long time to consume it and even more to learn it all. Kick back, read and study, and enjoy it. The gold will come with time. When I first joined I thought it would take me years to separate and refine the material I had on hand. Now it is a daily scramble to find more materials. Not that I have learned that much, I work the things I have learned, and keep studying how to refine those things I haven't tried yet.

Shark said:
There is one thing, but it will take a lot of time, and quite a bit of AP. Cut the plated materials and leave them in AP. Allow the AP to fully digest everything. I haven't tried anything as large as what you have, but I have done it with plated rings. I have come to a point where anything in AP just sits there with the air pump working for as long as a month or more at a time. I am only a hobby type refiner and just learning myself. I don't have to rush anything and quite enjoy some of the longer processes as it gives me time to see the effects. It helps with the visual learning in the long run. Check LazerSteves web sight as well a Samuel-A's they have some great info and video's to help explain various processes. There is so much info on this sight, it will take a very long time to consume it and even more to learn it all. Kick back, read and study, and enjoy it. The gold will come with time. When I first joined I thought it would take me years to separate and refine the material I had on hand. Now it is a daily scramble to find more materials. Not that I have learned that much, I work the things I have learned, and keep studying how to refine those things I haven't tried yet.

the above websites are:

http://goldrecovery.us lasersteve
http://goldnscrap.com samuel-a

edit: to fix links (thank you Göran)

Thank you Shark and Necromancer. I've been logging into Lazersteves site. Reading here and reading Hoke. So much information to digest. I am using the HCL method to digest base metals on some pins, about 400 grams roughly. After jumping the gun and adding way too many I cut my amount by volume in half. I've got my HCL in a coffee pot, heated by its heat plate. Not boiling bot hot,I'm about 4 days into this process. I'm trying to focus on one method at a time...but, With the HCL taking so long I started reading about other methods and wanted to give the HCL/Chlorox a try. Things stick in my memory by doing. I read, and then try. I will read up on the sulfuric cell and try it in the future. Thanks for the replies.

So were you able to dissolve the gold plating completely off allot of the silverware? And were you able to drop gold out?

My guess is too much chlorine still in solution which needs to dissipate before it drops.

B.S.

I stopped my attempt. I've gone back to reading. No, the SMB did not clear the solution as would be expected with Auric Chloride. My first attempt went smoothly. I was very pleased. I processed some foils in HCL/Chlorox. After adding SMB the solution went clear, then dark cloudy grey. Within 8 hours or so it settled and I had clear solution with powder at the bottom. I think you are right, still too much chlorine present. I may be looking at a mess I need to cement out with a copper bar.

AUJack
Be patient.
If safe, set it min the sun, add heat or add air bubbles and wait a few days.
The chlorine will dissipate out of solution.

Also if you can, check to make sure PH is still acidic. Bleach tends to bring the PH up if you used to much. This will hinder gold from dropping. If high, add alittle HCL to bring it back down and again, wait...Days, weeks...

When I knew I added to much bleach, I let it sit to see how long anything dropped. It took 2 weeks for anything to drop. The PH was too high and there was way to much chlorine from the bleach to allow the reaction.

B.S.

Latest posts

Back