• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Hearing aid batteries.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glondor

Any one have any interest in purchasing 3.75 kilos of hearing aid batteries. There is also 132 grams of gold plated hearing aid batteries.
IMG00463.jpg

IMG00462.jpg

IMG00464.jpg

PM me if you are interested.

I will check them tomorrow. My daughter spent most of the day sorting them for me so I have not been up close and personal with them.

MERCURY ALERT!!!!!!!!

Golden plated button cells(in the upper left corner) do not contain any silver,instead they contain a lot of mercury...if you open one of these batteries liquid mercury will flow...keep in hand some crude egg white if mercury drops to the floor,crude egg white collects all little drops of mercury.

Take a look to the post I wrote to select and process silver button cells.

Kindest Regards.

Manuel

Hi Manuel. I am glad you came in on this post. Is there a sure fire way to identify these batteries? Not a single one has any markings, No makers marks at all. They all came from a hearing aid manufacturer.

Thanks for the heads up on the gold topped ones. They will be handled with care.

I have read your work on batteries and I thank you for putting it together for us.

Cheers!.

IMG00468.jpg

IMG00467.jpg

Glondor:

Mercury cells do not contain any letter,instead,silver cells have "SR" or a number(e.g. "376").

All button cells have their fabricant´s name...except those of mercury...nobody wants to add a company´s name to the word"mercury" and this is the key to identify these button cells because they do not contain any letter or number,some times they have 4 dots.

If you have a button cell that does not contain any letter or name then it is a mercury type.

Kindest regrads.

Manuel

Thanks Manuel. I will retain these until I have time to sample a cross section of the population of batteries. I hope they are not Mercury, although with your info I fear they may be. I will drill and sample 100 or so and see what the results are. I will keep you posted. I have Mercury cartridges and sarinex suits so I will be protected.

Well I opened some of the gold topped batteries and there was no mercury. Just a bluish grey powder. I will open some of the non gold ones after lunch.
IMG00464.jpg

IMG00495.jpg

I have tons as well. Recently ordered myself some new hearing aid batteries online, as i don't want to run out of them in a most uncomfortable moment. Some people forget how important is that to keep an extra pair of batteries for the emergency cases.

Last edited:
Hello guys

Let me wish you members a very Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!
Also, there's a lot of threads here that deal with small batteries & the various metals they contain, as well as how to recover & refine the precious metals.
This thread, however, has not been updated in well over a decade.
If you use the search bar you can find many interesting threads on the topic!

Enjoy!
mike

Back