Heavy plate & wires ! - What are they ?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurtak

I only have a hand full of these & have been hanging on to them hoping to get more as I like to process things in larger batches - also they are magnetic so thought they mite be a bit of a problem to process

Well yesterday I decide to investigate a bit more & it turns out the bottom & top are copper & only the side walls are magnetic with gold plating & bonding wire's on the ceramic circuitry

Hot nitric gets ride of all the base metals & leaves a nice heavy foil (when it was done in the nitric it actually retained the original shape of the starting component) plus wire's & ceramic (I pulled it apart to see if I really got all the base metals dissolves)

Anyway - nice high yield components - but what are they?

Kurt

Attachments

• WP_20140515_002[1].jpg
    WP_20140515_002[1].jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 407
  • WP_20140515_001[1].jpg
    WP_20140515_001[1].jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 407
Its made by MASPRO which is a company in Japan that makes TV receiving equipment but they don't have a parts search on their web site

the part # is FMC141401-02

Kurt

https://www.google.com/search?q=FMC141401-02&espv=2&es_sm=120&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=cqF0U4X3IeqK7Aa1uIHoBw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAA&biw=1023&bih=767&dpr=1

they look like GaAs FET transistors. they sometimes contain gallium arsenide so I would be careful with those. I have two that are toshiba brand I think. always check the data sheets. they do have nice gold plating but I'm not going to dissolve them in anything. the ones I have do contain gallium arsenide and that sounds too much like cancer to me! if I had a mess of them the only way I would do it would be a sulfuric cell but even that scares me.

These look very cool Kurt. The respondents say be careful - Arsenic. Where I live they say that 3 to 4 KG of arsenic flows out of the mouth of the river every day! Deloro. Awesome aint it?

could also be a hybrid chip. we use those where i work for downhole electronics (high temp/high pressure) applications. where we have to fit alot in a tight space and use high temp solder. expensive stuff, very nice gold plating on them too.

I have many of these defective, GaAs FETs (Gallium Arsenide Field-Effect Transistors) for gold recovery, however, they do scare me quite a bit because of the Gallium Arsenide content. Does anyone have any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_1149.JPG
    IMG_1149.JPG
    832.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1150.JPG
    IMG_1150.JPG
    868.3 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back