Help identify this metal...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I purchased a testing kit as recommended by another member and ran both the silver and platinum tests as directed. Unfortunately, I am still confused as to what I'm looking at. I've posted pictures of the metal, and the before and after pictures. The sample on the left is the sample subjected to the silver testing solution. the one on the right is the platinum solution. Futher note.. after about a minute the silver test has left nothing but a red residue, the platinum solution seems to have disolved the metal completely... pale yellow residue.

Attachments

• P1030904.JPG
    P1030904.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 359
  • P1030905.JPG
    P1030905.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 359
  • P1030906.JPG
    P1030906.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 359
  • P1030907.JPG
    P1030907.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 359
Ok, I would seriously recommend going online to Coors (not after their beer, but after their ceramic) and getting some nice white porcelain that has little wells in its surface--much better contrast. I can probably dig up a link later.

If the one on the left is silver testing solution, then it is just nitric acid. The red color to me is indicative of Schwerter's solution (nitric acid and a chromium salt, which I wonder?!!), which means that's silver chromate, which means that is silver on your scratch stone. Schwerter's solution is probably the preeminent silver testing solution :)

If the one the right is platinum testing solution, then it is probably just aqua regia. The yellow precipitate looks like silver chloride to me!

If you are strapped on cash and wish to take Lou’s advice a cheaper temporary solution that will give you better contrast is to get some cheap clear glass custard cups from the dollar store or your local grocery and place them on a white piece of paper.

Thank you Oz and Lou, the left is a nitric acid and potassium dichromate solution. As far as the white porcelain goes I will defenitely place an order/ or maybe steal some from my wife... she has alot of figurines around :twisted: before I test the other scrap.
So it looks like I've inherited a couple of pounds of casting silver... and another 10 hours researching how to test/refine gold filled scrap. I think I've finally found a hobby that will drive my wife crazy and make her happy at the same time. :lol:

Thanks again!

Not to necro an old post but the metal in the last picture looks like polished Nickel Silver.

Latest posts

Back